SPINDLE BUSHING MATERIAL

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: SPINDLE BUSHING MATERIAL
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JAMES STARKEY on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 02:04 pm:

Hello all,

I've been off the grid for a while and had to re-register as a new member as a result!

Anyway, I was going to make some bushings for the new spindles I'm installing on my Faultless Speedster project. These are the regular 09-27 'Top Hat' #2713 style bushings. I was wondering if one of you more experienced machinists on the forum might have a suggestion for the best material. I was thinking bronze but # 936, 544 or standard 932 bearing grade bronze???

Yep, I know I can buy em cheap from the vendors but I have the tooling & the time so I'd rather make my own.
Jimmy - Naperville, IL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 02:07 pm:

MD Nylon is the way to go . Hi lubricity and out wears the bronze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Oder on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 03:08 pm:

932 or 936 (which is a freer machining version of 932). Since the spindle bolts are not very hard I would likely not use 954 Aluminum Bronze.

J.O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 07:08 pm:

932 should hold up reasonably well. Certainly better than brass. You might consider phosphor bronze. I switched over to phosphor bronze from 932 for gear and pin bushings on a Perfecto. It machines almost as easily but is twice as tough. Only thing is you must buy solid rods, cored rods are not available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JAMES STARKEY on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 09:08 pm:

Thanks,
I have some 932 solid bar bronze I just got from McMaster so I'll give it a go. I've no experience with the Nylon MD stuff nor have I read much about it on the forum. I will say, at only $5.18 per ft. for 1" rod ( I just looked it up) it certainly is cheaper. See link:

http://www.polymerplastics.com/mechanical_nylonmd.shtml

Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:00 pm:

Ralph Zajicek of Z Head fame designed and fabricated some inserts to take the play out of the tie rod ends and wishbone ball using Nylon MD. They worked well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark C. Vlasak on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 11:51 pm:

JAMES,
I looked it up also but I balked when I found out that the handling/shipping charge is $25.00 for even the smallest order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JAMES STARKEY on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:08 am:

Yikes! There are other more reasonable sources, I just pulled that one off google.

I buy all my metal rod/hex bars from: http://www.onlinemetals.com/

pretty reasonable prices for the little home shop guys. Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:24 am:

Richard : Nice Perfecto pictures !!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration