Need help or advice for changing a clincher tube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Need help or advice for changing a clincher tube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 03:21 pm:

Got powder coated Buffalo wire wheels and let the air pressure get down to 20 pounds because We didn't drive it for 14 months. It looked good but when I backed it up it bent the valve stem off. I got the tube out and got all of the little Dyna-Beads out of the tube and into a jar.

Went over to Stan Lucas and got a new 30 x 3 1/2 tube and put the old Dyna-Beads into the new tube.

Now I have a tire half off and half on with a flap inside out of register..

Should I take eveything off of the wheel and start over all new or is there a quick way ? A tired old man wants to know the easy way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 03:51 pm:

Take it off,and do it right. You'll thank yourself later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 04:00 pm:

Jack, thanks . . . . I was afraid of that ;~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 06:39 pm:

Frank

Give me a call and I'll come over and give ya a Hand

You driving the 22 on Sat to the HME?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 07:00 pm:

I could but need to fix two tires Gene, Its' not that important and the day is getting late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 07:28 pm:

Well I tried again. This time with wooden levers and the tire came right off quickly. I didn't want to chip that powder coted rim with tire irons. The tire is is still rather new with only 300 miles on it and is still flexible.

rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 08:15 pm:

I have wrapped my irons with duct tape and had good luck with not chipping rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 08:36 pm:

Frank, You need to be using some motorcycle tire irons. They're a little over an inch wide and have the perfect shaped hook on one end for working around the tire.

I found the best protection for the paint is to cut a fairly large piece of plastic like from a gallon milk jug. Use that between the rim and your tool.

I think you could cause some damage with those wood boards and the duct tape will cut thru easily. Try the milk bottle plastic and I think you'll like it. Its also nice and thin between the irons and the rim and you can cut the piece to the shape you like.

Makes changing those clinchers a piece of cake..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 06:45 am:

Easy way is with the wheel on the car. Start with the tube inside the tire and the valve stem at the bottom. Get the tire and tube and valve stem started, then let the jack down to trap the tire in the rim. That way the car can't fall off the jack and the tire is not going to back off as you push it on the wheel.

Then push the tire into place. I use Go - Jo original formula hand cleaner to lube the rim. Another good choice is a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid mixed with a quart of water. Don't use any tire tools, they are unnecessary.

It took me about 5 minutes. Dad was asking why it took so long!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:50 am:

Gene, I have those proper tire tools and also some tapered front end Model T leaf springs that I use.

Royce, My difficulty was in getting the tube and flap out of the middle of the tire while it was on the rim. I followed Jack Daron's directions and removed them both. I didn't want to scratch the powder coating but that stuff is very strong.

That was a nice picture demonstration you posted. Isn't it fun to teach ! ;~)

I used two tapered oak push sticks and walked the rim of the tire over of the wheel rim and it went right back together in two minutes. and yes I like to mount the wheel on the car and then put the tire on the rim because it is easier to do it that way, just as you say.

The tube only had 300 miles on it and I plan to install an old removable metal valve stem and will offer it to someone who is era correct. Question, There are three washes on the under side of the stem, where do all of the washers go and how many do I need to use ?

stem

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration