Need help dating T pedal car.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Need help dating T pedal car.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 09:54 pm:

Years back my dad gave me a T speedster peddle car. As I can see its all there except it has a board for a seat. It has spindly wire wheels with very skinny rubber tires (imitation tires), motometer with the dogbone cap, its red with I think black radiator cover. Has peddles, axles, axle brackets, steering etc and in good working order.

It stands around 24 inches +/-, maybe 36 inches long +/-. Frame is wood and metal for engine hood and radiator cover.

Can anyone help date it?

I bet you want a picture?

Thank you any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 12:57 am:

Did someone mention pictures ??

http://www.google.ca/search?q=peddle+cars+ford&tbm=isch&hl=en&imgsz=&imgar=&imgt ype=&imgsrc=&imgc=&imgcc=&cr=&safe=images&biw=1024&bih=604&sei=dq_6TvuGGpP9iQKaw 7SnDg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 05:06 am:

This looks to be very close to your description, but I canít confirm that Itís a Garton.
Some how I donít think that it is.

http://jackinmichigan.com/AntiqueToys/ToyTinLizzieOldPedalCarlikeFordModelT.aspx

Will wait to see if it matches yours before searching further.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 06:09 pm:

pictures

Its 36 inches long

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 06:18 pm:

It looks home made from pieces of a store bought pedal car and some buggy wheels.

Here's a pedal car made in a similar fashion by my dad when I was 4 years old:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 06:56 pm:

Let me add, the steering wheel has a movable lever like the gas lever.

Royce, your dad made when you were 4 years old? That was what, 25 years ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:25 pm:

Tyrone that was 50 plus years ago. He made a wood form for the axle and had it cast in aluminum. He's made about 20 - 30 more since then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:31 pm:

Tyrone, I found the remains of one of those in an old dump in the woods a few years back. I suspect it is still there. I'd guess from the 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:02 pm:

And you left it there Jack?

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:11 pm:

Yep. It was in pretty bad shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 12:27 am:

Two more 1920's era 'Ford' pedal car photos.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:36 am:

If you all ever get to Speedway Museum in Lincoln Neb, he also collects toys and Pedal cars NEAT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 11:21 am:

The one in the top photo posted by Art sure looks alot like yours Tyrone. A little less detail on the body parts on yours. Perhaps yours is a later version from the same compamy? Wheels and body shape are quite similar. The model/maker tag may have been on the seat back. I've seen 2 like that but not your style. The kid in the bottom shot looks like he's hit the steering wheel too many times!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:54 pm:

CharlieB

I had not seen the girl in the photo since the mid to late 50ís, but I can assure you that she
grew up to be a very nice looking lady.
She was my wifeís aunt and has long since past or I would not have dared to post that photo. <@^@>

Here she is with her older sisters.

Even on the farm they kept up with the fashions of the time.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 02:04 pm:

No offence meant Art. Just looked comical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 02:43 pm:

Here is one I made for my oldest Son in 1969. I had found the remains of an old 1930's or 40's pedal car and decided to make something that resembled a Model T out of it. Regards, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 03:28 pm:

No offence taken Charlie. She had moved to California before I came into the family,
and I only met her when they visited here in Alberta.
She was always very meticulous in her appearance, so wish I had the photo back then !!!

Regards
Art

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration