Steering column support

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Steering column support
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony D'heer on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 08:25 am:

I know it exists, but I cannot find a steering column support (part # 3505) IN BRASS.
Can someone help me ?
Tony D'heer
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:10 am:

http://www.modeltford.com/item/3500BR.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony D'heer on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:59 am:

Thank you, Ed. It is indeed in the catalog of Lang's, but no more available...
Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:51 pm:

Tony, I wanted one for my car too... just for the added support and to help offset the torque on the steering tube. I've been looking for two years myself, I posted an add on the classifieds for a (brass) steering to firewall support bracket still no luck if I happen across a source I'll keep you in mind Please do the same for me....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:28 pm:

Why don't you see if you can borrow one, then take it to a foundry that pours brass and see what it would cost to make some. You could post the cost on the forum and see if you can get enough sales to warrant making some. You might become a Model T parts vendor yourself. It could be quite inexpensive, particularly if you sell it without polishing. The user could polish it to and probably save $40-$50.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JAMES STARKEY on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 12:36 am:

Ted, That's what I was about to suggest. It's a pretty easy part to have poured and as Ted stated, if you do the finishing work it will keep the costs down. I'm sure there are plenty of craftsman in Belgium who can still do this sort of thing. You would need an original and you need to shop around as the price could vary greatly. The best way to price shop is to first see if you could spark interest from other T owners by having 5-10 made up as suggested. We do this sort of thing all the time in our Antique Ariel motorcycle club and in fact just had about 20 obsolete alloy piston slugs poured for us. Jimmy

Sorry if this is mostly repetition of what Ted just said but he's right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 07:12 am:

I guess one of us could buy one of the cheap pot metal repros and do a (brass) sand casting and come up with a usable part, getting the brass ingot is one thing or one could buy the all the junk brass cast figures made in India at some yard sales and wind up with enough material to cast some parts. Coming up with a way to melt it would be my problem, we used to have a few small foundries here in town that would have done these but the Great Ol'EPA! took care of that one for us....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:02 am:

I have the master patterns for three different lengths of column supports and might have a couple of the long brass suports left - I'll check. I purchased the patterns & some tooling for most all of the T brackets available today from Bill Rader's (Rader Enterprises) widow several years ago. Radiator caps, wings, dogbones, lamp brackets, body brackets, robe rail brackets, wire wheel wrenches, you name it. Been interested in seeing them put back in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:26 am:

Steve that's good to know where some of that stuff went, I purchased quite a few parts from Bill Rader over the years, met he and his wife in Chickasha one year. Several years ago Leon Parker went with me to Chickasha, and he could find my parts quickly for sale in the parts trailer, he said after Bill died, he had purchased the parts business from Bills widow; and then when he moved from Calif. to ky sold out to someone else . Its a small world out there. T and TT Ford Parts used, NOS, reprod. John Danuser Fulton Mo new email address danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:48 am:

Who has the Rader moulds for oversize main caps, as for an A or a Chevy crank? Last time I had an engine babbitted, in 2000, I learned the old caps were made of a bronze that wouldn't tin, which was why the babbit had cracked and come loose. Vic sent me to Mrs. Rader for new caps.

I have the same problem with the Chevy cranked Fronty engine, but it's not quite that bad, yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:51 am:

John,
I believe the fellow you're reffering to is Bill Bohlen - Antique Motorsports

Ralph - I'll look in my crate but don't recall seeing those. I use Dan McE's main caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony D'heer on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 06:49 am:

I wish to thank everyone who responded to my question. Thanks for all your suggestions.
First of all I'm going to wait for further news of Steve Tomaso...
Tony - Belgium
tonydheer@telenet.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 09:48 am:

Check out this site:

http://backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:08 am:

Years back I cast the iron APCO column brace in aluminum and brass but when I saw Lang and others already had ones being reproduced I sold the ones I had made to date and dropped the project. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony D'heer on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:32 pm:

To STEVE TOMASO.
I tried several times to send you an email, but on the adress I have, StevesTs@comcast.net I cannot reach you. Is it possible to contact me by email ? tonydheer@telenet.be
Happy New Year !
Tony - Belgium

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration