30x3 1/2 NON-Clincher

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 30x3 1/2 NON-Clincher
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael B. Black on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:44 am:

I recently ran across a set of these tires and demountable rims, but, I thought all the 30x3 1/2 tires for T's were clincher. Looking for enlightenment! (I'm not really new--this is about the 4th time I had to create a new identity)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:56 am:

They were certainly made for a number of applications and can be run on clincher rims in a pinch if you put rope in the clincher groove on the rim to make the rim a straight side. I have run 36X4-1/2 straight side tires on clincher rims for years that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:01 am:

Michael if they are good enough to run, I have several sets of 30 x 3 1/2 rims, split for the straight sides tires, if you need a set I have them danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:04 am:

Michael,

Actually many other makes of cars used a straight sided tire that took a different style rim. The Model Ts from 1909 until the clincher was phased out used them along with the 21 inch straight wall balloon tires introduced in 1925.

Note from memory (not as good as it used to be) Chevrolet offered both 30 x 3 ˝ clincher wheels & tires and 30 x 3 ˝ straight sided wheels and tires. And in a 1925 brochure, Firestone offered some wheels that could accept both the straight sided rim and tires as well as the clincher rim and tires.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:09 am:

Hi Michael:

I believe that these days, 30 x 3 1/2 tires are only available in clincher form. But straight side tires in this size WERE available in the past.

When I bought my '23 touring (restored in the 1950s) in 2001 it still had a set of five 30 x 3 1/2 straight side tires and split rims! Yes - very strange.

Because of the difficulty (or impossibility) of finding these tires, I eventually acquired a set of clincher rims and changed out the old rims and tires.

I'm happy to report that my weird split rims were happily purchased by a guy who was restoring a '20s STAR touring car. Apparently these rims were really meant for slightly larger straight side tires anyway.

All this might explain your situation.

Good Luck -

Rick Benjamin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:27 am:

"(I'm not really new--this is about the 4th time I had to create a new identity)"

Tax problems? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:04 am:

Witness protection program??? Life time member??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:14 am:

Is the Dr. Back, I think we would like to help
you, have you contacted any local T club Members in your area. How about pictures.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 08:30 pm:

It doesn't read like the good (?) Doctor's postings. Yes, many other marques used 30X3.5 SS tires (including Chevrolet). A 31X 4 SS is the same rim size as a 30X3.5 OS CL and will fit those rims.
Some early demountable horseless carriage rims were multi-ring split rims on both the inside and outside of the rim. They could be assembled as either clincher or straight side.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 08:36 pm:

Mike also known as Michael,

I wanted to apologize for some of the comments made above. One of the problems with computers is we cannot easily see folks so we can't recognize them as easily as we could if met you at your garage or our garage. In this case I'm fairly sure Michael B. Black is a real person who has been posting at least since Oct 2010.

There have been a few problems with some individuals just pulling the chain of the folks on the MTFCA. It sounds like a few folks are suspecting you were possibly that same person who comes back around once a year or so. They pretend to want answers etc. but never are available for anyone to ever meet etc. It actually is ok to ask questions without owning an old car but they were just weaving a story to waste a lot of folks time etc. and did not really want to know about the Fords – rather to just pull people’s chains. So some folks are a little “gun shy” still.

When I looked at your profile your Pickup-Coupe struck a cord. From memory (not as good as it used to be) I think you posted way back 3 or 5 years ago about making that car and how it was damaged by driving under something. When I looked for your current profile – it only shows 4 postings and they are all today. But searching for the name Black – turned up numerous postings over the last year plus. And either you have a couple of Ts or you have woven one really great story that leads me to believe you understand them.

Based on what I know so far – I would like to say “Welcome back!” Many of us have had to register again and sometimes we could not get our old name back. And the next time you are going between Blackburg, SC and Crestview, Fl – please stop by. I’d like to meet you and offer you something cold (or hot) to drink.

Below are some photos of what I believe are you speedsters – taken from the earlier postings – if I have that wrong please make corrections:

Below are several postings Mike/Michael has made in the past.

Made it a closed cab pickup – Apr 17, 2011
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/208068.html?1304128987#POST330300

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/207859.html?1303874058

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/206732.html?1303704037 see the last posting for photos

see Jan 24, 2011 11:55 http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/185430.html?1296156654

See: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:59 am: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/175054.html?1292469782#POST292442

Mike Black FLA/S.C. on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 06:31 pm: same thread

Photos of his Pickup coupe he put together at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/169324.html?1289408277#POST282886

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/169318.html?1289104408 Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 01:01 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/168122.html?1288412319#POST281306 photo of his hack -- Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 12:18 am:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Black on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 08:47 am:

Hi Hap,
That's me! I've been around here since before the days of Ricks in the Great Race, and all the Gilsonite discussions with the guy from Miami with the T daily driver he wrecked. I've seen many people come and go. Sometimes I'm here daily and sometimes its months between visits. These infrequent visits results in my not being able to find the right username and password I had written down, so, I have to "create a new identity" to post. I comunicated with you after returning from the Centennial in IN, in 2008, before taking both my speedsters to the "T's of Olar". Anyway, I got back on here this time because I was looking for input before I start on my 15. I've taken most of it back to SC and am trying to gather up the rest to take when I leave FL Sunday. I went to pick up my set of oval spoke, wood felloe wheels I had loaned a friend a few years ago when he showed me the 5 straight sided, unused Puma brand tires and split rims. I went back yesterday and bought them. My idealistic plan is to have the 15 finished to show at Petit Jean Mtn, AR in June, then put the demountables on it and attend the tour the following week in Nebraska! The next time I get through your part of the state I'll try to contact you--when in SC, I'm along 85 at the SC/NC line. I wish I knew of someone nearby that had been as deep into the T body repair as I am about to go. (If this goes well I may fix the broken door post in my wrecked pickup cab)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 09:52 am:

Nicely done, Hap.
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 11:51 am:

Mike -- I'll be anxious to see your '15 at Petit Jean. Several of us "local" T'ers drive our cars to that meet and camp out there. I think we're in Row J, not far from the highway. If you see a group of T's, that's us. Stop by and visit if you have time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Dexter, MN on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:05 pm:

Does anyone here know if the Coker 31x4 non-clincher tires are any better quality than the 30x3.5 tires currently available?

If so, these might be the ticket for getting longer-lasting tires. http://store.cokertire.com/31x4-bf-goodrich-cord-blackwall.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration