Another Tbay early T Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Another Tbay early T Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:14 am:

Here is another early T for the photo experts. It looks like South Dakota plates, even though they think it is a Minnesota photo. It sure has a shiny parking brake.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/c1913-RPPC-HADLEY-Rural-General-Store-Slayton-Minnesota-MN-/220920617771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336fe51b2b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:03 am:

Hadley and Slayton, Minnesota are approximately 25 miles east of the South Dakota border so it is not inconceivable that the photo was taken in Minnesota.

It appears that the photo was removed from a photo album. The seller may have gotten the additional information from writing below the photo when it was mounted in the album.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:13 am:

That is an early 1909 just past the two lever model. Note the locking top, no lip on the front fenders and the brass plated brake lever. The side lights are the 3 tier E & Js.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:49 am:

Erik, the reason I posted some doubt about the location is that I sold a PC back in 2009 of a store called the Stone Bridge-Store, which was located just south of Watertown SD. If I remember right, it sure looked like this building. But, I am often wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 12:31 pm:

Darel, looks to me like there are 2 levers there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 12:42 pm:

It could be. Northwestern Auto distributor sold or shipped at least three two lever Fords out of Minneapolis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:22 pm:

Darel,

I tried to convince my wife we needed to purchase a 1909 two-lever so we could stage some photos and better answer questions on the forum. She laughed but the look on her face let me know the answer was “NO!” Not having a two-lever I’m not sure if the reverse and handbrake could both be put forward in about the same position.

From the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/228833.html?1314166861 Dan Wolf posted a photo of #131 taken at Hershey in 2009 and that photo is shown below:

Based on that and one other reference point the 1909 photo at the end of my posting – not statistically significant – I believe it is possible – but probably not necessarily common based on other photos. “IF” that is true [if someone with more knowledge of the two levers would please confirm or correct the assumption] then below is a “zoomed in” on the e-bay photo which I believe either shows a shadow/reflection on the single emergency brake or possibly that the tow levers are superimposed at the angle the photo was taken. Either way clearly one of the first 2500 or so Fords.

Yes, I tried to see the pedals to see if there were three or two but I did not have any success with that one.

We looked a newspaper photo a while back where it was very difficult to tell if it was a 2 lever or single emergency brake lever in the photo. In that case there lighting cast a shadow on the driver’s leg that clearly showed it was a two lever (see below). But in the e-bay photo – I did not see any shadows that would help with the question.

Note also that the car has the two bolts for the front body bracket and the four bolts in a T at the middle body bracket. While zoomed in you can also make out the screws holding the running board trim to the wooden running board. And notice that the crank is not hanging down (although there could have been a leather crank holder for a later car). All characteristic of the early 1909s.

Another 2 lever from a previous posting showing the body bolts is shown below:

Note is also had both levers well forward.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration