1914 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 1914 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Stauder on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:31 am:

A while back there was a discussion on the forum about a 1912 vs 1914 touring being auctioned on ebay for $13,000. The owner said it was a 1912 but it really was a 1914. We are the owners of the vehicle and would like to register it as a 1914 since it is one. However the registration states it is a 1912. Could you post some differences between the 2 so that we can take this info to the DMV to prove that the car is in reality a 1914 and correct the registration. BTW, the restoration is coming along beautifully. We have 2 sets of wheels for it. One with the wooden wheels stained and varnished with black tires and a set of wheels that the wood painted black with a set of smooth gray tires like the original. Thanks, Diane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:52 am:

Some of the experts will chime in here with differences to look for, but you can find a good many of them yourself with the Model T Encyclopedia. It includes pictures of the same components for different years. One obvious clue is the engine serial number, if your car has the right engine. That will give you the date the engine was made.

http://mtfca.com/encyclo/intro.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:56 am:

If the car truly a 1914 model and the serial number on the engine corresponds to the 1914 model year, the serial number alone should be enough evidence for the DMV to put the correct year on the title when you register the car.

Below is information on you car from an old thread so the information doesn't have to be recycled on a new thread.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/202085.html?1301791901

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:04 am:

Here is the previous post: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/202085.html?1301791901
There are many suggestions about differences in that thread. One easy way for non experts to date an old Ford is the engine - you have casting date and serial # on your '14.
Here are Model T serial # listed by production month:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm

The patent plate on the dash of your '14 may also have a car # a little lower than the engine # - Ford sold some engines as spare parts, that's why the car # is lower than the engine #. The car # is not the official identity of your car, but further indicates that you have a genuine 1914, since your car # is much higher than what any 1912 Ford had. Open 1914 style Fords were produced for a long time - from August 1913 to January 1915 approximately. Engine # 348,736 to ~670,000.
Se http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1914.htm and http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1914H.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 12:30 pm:

I would let that sleeping dog lie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard from San Buenaventura, Calif on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 12:43 pm:

You want to walk into the lions den, kick the sleeping lions in the butt so that they wake up?

If I have learned one thing in the past 25 years during which I have dealt with classic cars, one-offs, '50s specials, title issues I can't even mention here, cars that had engine numbers at VINs but the engine was gone, and cars where YOM or VINs were entered incorrectly, it's this: don't do it.

You have a 1914, titled as a 1912: get over it. I won't tell anybody, and there is no need for you to tape a copy of your title to the windshield either.

As a brainless, obese DMV drone who dropped out of High School when getting pregnant at age 15 I would tell you: "they probably put some wrong parts on your car. If it says it's a '12. it's a '12. Now get the f*ck out of ma face. NEXT!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:04 pm:

Diane,
If you live in California, follow the sage advice--let sleeping dogs lie! Anyone purchasing your car in the future will know what year it is, and that's what matters--unless you want to put YOM plates on it, the title is no issue.
If you want to put YOM plates on it, then I would go to the T car clubs and ask around until you are given directions to the DMV office or clerk who is educated on these matters. Other option is to contact one of the professional title folks. I actually went that way with my latest T because of the lack of paperwork that didn't come with the car (I've always done it myself, clear back to 1973 when I went through a "lien sale" to buy a '39 Ch###y with no title (Yeah, my everyday car for a number of years, courted my wife in it even--but she couldn't see over the dash, so we sold it. Sorta regret that even today-my black "mafia staff car.") But now I'm rambling!
Good luck!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 01:23 pm:

She is in New York. The list of motor serial #'s should be sufficient for an inspector. Show him the list. Have him look at the serial number on your car. Problem solved.

Have a great time with the car as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Stauder on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 04:09 pm:

Thank you all for your help and thank you Erik for being able to pull up the old thread for reference. I printed it up to take to the DMV. I was unable to find that old thread. In NY we have to put the registration stickers on our front window and we would like it to read that it is a 1914. Also when showing the car in a National Meet of the AACA (They will be in the Buffalo area in 2014) we want everything the way it is suppose to be. By the way in 2014 the car will be celebrating it's 100th birthday. We'll let you know how it all turns out. We even have 1914 NYS license plates for it. They were brown with white lettering. Happy Teeeeing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 04:31 pm:

Diane, as a NY resident, if they dont ask -don't tell. I had clear title, and bill of sale and they could not figure out what a Depot Hack was so they gave me a hard time. For lack of a better discription, it a Surburban in their eyes!!! Good Luck....Chip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 04:32 pm:

Diane, as a NY resident, if they dont ask -don't tell. I had clear title, and bill of sale and they could not figure out what a Depot Hack was so they gave me a hard time. For lack of a better discription, it a Surburban in their eyes!!! Good Luck....Chip
What is the engine # say for a year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Stauder on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 05:18 pm:

It says 1914 all over it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard from San Buenaventura, Calif on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:34 am:

Not to somebody who doesn't even know what a Model T is.
Let it go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:45 am:

They want to show the car at the National meet of the AACA in Buffalo. I would do as suggested and talk to some one in the AACA or your local T club and see if they can be of help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Stauder on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 08:31 pm:

Well, just got back from the DMV and everything went as planned. Registration says 1914 on it and insurance is all set and there you go. Now we are going to work on the vintage plates and get back to the "nitty gritty" of restoring it back to the beauty it once was. Thank you again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 08:48 pm:

Curious, what does NY charge for such a correction. I know CA will want $$ at least--if you sneeze in the DMV office, it costs! :-)
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 09:08 pm:

Curious, what does NY charge for such a correction. I know CA will want $$ at least--if you sneeze in the DMV office, it costs! :-)
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 09:09 pm:

I blame the double post on dial up! Anyone know how to delete the extra?
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:21 am:

Glad all went good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 09:32 am:

Diane, I would say you got lucky. It seems like most of the employees who work for DMV do not want to handle anything that is not easy to handle.
Here in Texas I have had many problems with titles. Current I am going thru a small town court house where there seems to be a lot of older cars and the local DMV clerks are very helpful. I know, it sounds unbelieveable???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Stauder on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:38 am:

A two year registration was $13.00. Based on the weight of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:07 pm:

Wow! Out here in Californy getting the title on my '25 cost me (from memory) $35, then when I went to get the YOM plates on it (registration, as opposed to title only) was $100+ (some change, I can't remember it all, and too much work to look it up right now), but since I didn't have the proof of insurance on me, I had to go back to finish it, and the clerk there added $33 more for "first time plate use" (I think that paid for the two little metal tabs we mount behind the YOM plate to put the current stickers on). Now next year the annual fee will be around $60, as one has to pay for the "vanity" plate--YOM is considered a vanity plate.
Sheesh, $13 for TWO years! OTOH, I rarely shovel snow. . .
Glad it all worked out for you.
T'
David D.
PS and they're talking about raising the fees here again. Most of my cars are on Non-op (one time $15 fee until you change to Operating)--before the fees got so steep, I used to keep all of them up to date, so the state loses money on me & all the other collectors too. Penny wise, pound foolish!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard from San Buenaventura, Calif on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:46 pm:

My '20 Speedster came with a clear California title in the seller's name, the last California registration, a bill of sale from him to me, and a set of clean Horseless Carriage plates (5000 series).

He had owned the car since 1985 but since it was hibernating since 1995 when he parked it, I needed a VIN verification anyway.

I prepped the car, added a VIN plate to the firewall matching the engine number and handed my DMV "Lady" $100 to look at the car. I gave her tons of filled out DMV forms, including the one needed to retain the early HC plates. She said not all of this was needed, and handed me the plates back, since she now had "inspected" them.

I drove back home, a 75 minute one-way trip, and learned the next day that "everything went well" but they needed to have a quick look at the plates. Duh!

Another half day later, she told me on the phone that it would take about 4 to 6 weeks to get the registration, as Sacramento had to sign off on this.

One week and a half later I got mail: my registration and a set of new, much later Horseless Carriage plates (8000 series).
I hate the DMV!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration