Turn Signals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Turn Signals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 02:01 pm:

Just a question. It's not real important, just curious. Just completed a turn signal setup. Used Lang's hose clamp mounted switch and (I believe) Mac's 6vt. 3 prong flasher. Using 1129 (21cp) bulbs front & rear. The system works fine but the flashing is quite fast. It's not a blur but it's quick. I'm thinking that's just the way the flasher operates. I also noticed that the indicator lamp on the stalk of the switch some times just stays lit even though the body lights are flashing and some times it flashes. Every thing is hooked up according to the switch diagram. Any thoughts? Like I said, just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 02:23 pm:

Are all the bulbs flashing when they're supposed to? I think sometimes a quick flash indicates a bulb not working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 02:40 pm:

All bulbs flash/are working in proper sequence. With the exception of the switch indicator bulb which flashes when it feels like it. Besides I think, with these old style bi-metalic flashers, with a bulb out they wouldn't flash. Just come on and stay on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 03:43 pm:

A quick flash can also mean the flasher isn't heavy enough for the load. Are you sure everything is wired correctly? That indicator light problem could also mean there's a problem in the unit it's self.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Paoletti on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 04:42 pm:

Usually when the flasher is cycling unusually fast it is an indication a bulb has burned out or the circuit to it has opened. I'm unsure of what a conventional flasher would do with LED devices but I imagine the LED device would appear as a burned out bulb to a conventional thermal driven flasher unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Brown on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 05:01 pm:

Charlie:
A different type flasher will probably settle things down. Try a heavy duty flasher or an electronic flasher. You will need a 6 volt flasher and that might not be available in the electronic version. I had just as soon have the other any way.
Good luck.
Roger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 05:27 pm:

I agree with Roger. The flasher is probably bad. When a bulb burns out or there's open circuit, the flasher normally stays on since there's not enough current used to heat the bi-metal strip to cycle off.

I had a batch of bad 6v flashers. Out of 20, only two worked. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 05:31 pm:

The intermittent light on the stalk is a bad ground to that housing. ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:30 pm:

Grounds are a problem on T's, It's more trouble but I run a dedicated ground to each light and never have any problems. KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:35 am:

The first flasher I had on mine was t--o--o s--l--o--w! I replaced it with an old stock type heavy duty and it flashes just right.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration