21" Split rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 21" Split rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Holderman -Warsaw, Indiana on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 07:29 pm:

What is an easy way to tell the difference between a Model T and a Chev. 21" split rim??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 07:31 pm:

The position of the hole for tube stem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 08:01 pm:

Here is a picture of my recent mistake:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/244227.html?1323379048
split mess
The rim closest to the camera is non Ford, likely Chevy. The rim behind is Ford. Both are positioned so you look at them from the outside, but the placement of the hole for the tube stem is different and one of the lugs is split open on the non-Ford rim.
With some drilling and welding it can be altered to fit on a ford wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 08:11 pm:

I may be confused, but the Chevrolet rim uses the Jaxon lugs which are not permanently attached to the rim whereas the Ford split rim has the four lugs attached to the rim. If you have a Chevrolet wheel, the valve stem hole in the Ford rim won't line up with the valve stem hole in the Chevy wheel when the four lugs are positioned over the 4 lug bolts. So Chebby split rims have no attached lugs whereas Ford split rims have those four lugs attached and can easily be distinguished. Am I thinking right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 08:24 pm:

Donalal,no some of the Chevy 21 inch rims had lugs ,just like the fords. All you have to do is redrill the stem hole and they work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:18 pm:

Thanks Jack, not a day goes by I don't learn something on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:23 pm:

I redrilled the hole in the fellow, that way either wheel will work, stuck a plastic plug in the old hole. No one has ever noticed the difference and the chevy rim is much easier to mount the tire on as the latch is out of the way. Have fun, KB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration