OFF topic needle and seat ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OFF topic needle and seat ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 12:55 pm:

Ok,so what happened here? My chevy started getting poor fuel mileage and then got to the point of leaking fuel arou nd the throttle shaft.This is the only part I changed,problem stopped.Car is driven about once or twice a week on short trips to eat and what not.Just want to learn here.I have my theorys but dont want to steer it in that direction till I hear other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:46 pm:

What year and model Chevy? I used to have a Candy Apple Red '51 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with the curved rear corner quarter windows and split windshield. That turned heads almost as much as my '26 T coupe. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:53 pm:

Oh this aint a classic or anything,just my old 77 impala wagon.I have had it since 1988 and it has well over 300,000 miles on it.Runs fine until this went to the bad recently.Got to giveing trouble gradualy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:59 pm:

Mack does it have a quadra jet four barrel?KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 02:04 pm:

Mack, years ago when using six Stromberg 97s on a 301 Chevy racing engine we were only able to get a very short life out of those neoprene needles. Seems that vibrations would soon wear a slight groove on the needle and then it wouldn't seal off. We went back to solid steel needles and had better luck. From your picture your needle appears to have such a groove so I'm guessing that was your trouble. Hope this helps. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bartlett on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 02:26 pm:

Wheres the gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 04:26 pm:

Why not just get a kit and rebuild the carburetor? You could rebush the throttle plate if needed. I think my 77 Chevy van quadrajet had a cast iron throttle plate if I remember correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 05:08 pm:

Well,I did buy a kit.But I was wondering what was wrong,so I decided to troubleshoot the problem.
I first checked the float,then decided to replace the seat.There is a tiny,thin metal washer-gasket,tht goes on the brass seat before going into the carb.I did not change that so i would not alter the float adjust ment.
Car runs as it should now.I did replace the body gasket and the spacer gasket.I am trying to get a better understanding of what went wrong because this type problem can be in any carbed engine.I know some of us dont like corn squezzens in our gas because this could be a problem caused by it.Not saying it is,just from my understand this is a problem it can cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:01 pm:

The E10 gas we have to use hardens both natural and synthetic rubbers. That makes a needle / seat like the one in your picture start leaking after a couple years. You have to expect to replace those fairly often. If there is a stainless or brass needle / seat available it might last longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:23 pm:

Last longer than 300,000 miles? Mack you may expect some problems after that many miles. If you suspect Gasohol is causing you premature needle valve wear, you should probably quit using it. I don't know if you have that choice but we do where I live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:33 pm:

Uh,this carb is about the 3rd 1 that has been on it.Probably only about 90,000 on this carb.There is a issue with the fuel filter portion stripping out on these if ye aint carefull.This 1 had a helicoil when i got it.
John,there is some regular fuel around,but it aint really feesable to try and get it and use it all the time.frustrateing.
Royce,you confirmed what I was thinking.I thought I had heard that.
My 66 F100 acts very similar,it may be next for this repair.
I aint sure if brass needles or stainless are avaliable for my applications,but that would be a better fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 10:41 pm:

Mack that always surprises me to hear that people have trouble buying non alcohol gasoline. We've had gasohol here since at least 1977 and there have always been 2 other choices at the pumps. I live in the heart of gasohol country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:04 am:

The biggest problem with quadrajet carbs is the floats get saturated with gas, try and find metal floats and it will last enother 300,000 miles.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration