OT Prewar Crosley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT Prewar Crosley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 04:57 pm:

My father has purchased a 1942 Crosley convertable. It has the 2 cylinder WaKasha engine in it. It is mostly there but is missing a few parts like a door handle and the emblems and a couple other things. I didn't know if anyone out there has any parts kicking around for one of these? I'm going to help him restore it when he retires. Thanks James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 05:18 pm:

I've got one, a convt. that I put a 4cyl in. There is a nice one in Maryville TN that is a fire truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Harold - Noblesville, IN on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 05:21 pm:

As I remember, Crosley made their own engines. One was a flat opposed four and the later one was an OHV four. I may be wrong however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 06:02 pm:

The Prewar Crosley cars came with a 2 cylinder air cooled Wakasha probably spelled that wrong. I don't think there are many left around the country. Its a cute but strange looking car and very small!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 06:22 pm:

Kinda cute. There was a wartime movie with 5 women piled into one in Washington DC... War workers??? ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 06:34 pm:

If you don't find a Crosley car club, the Franklin Car Club will have some info, as they are dedicated to all pre-war Aircooled cars.

http://www.franklincar.org/

I would question anybody buying something to do in retirement. I have a garage full of projects that were waiting for my retirement, which happened 12 years ago. I figured out I was not doing those projects, because I really didn't want to, and still don't.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Oder on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 07:16 pm:

There were two versions of the OHC inline four - one had a cast block and the other had a furnace brazed sheet metal construction, though I think this was more in the way of water jackets. Both were 45 CID or about 750CC

J.O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 08:20 pm:

Someone near me buys and sells these cars and parts and even repro's some parts. I have met the guy at car shows and I think he lives in or around Twelve Mile Indiana. You can get anything you need from this guy because he is THE one everyone gets parts from.

On a side note,
Indiana Motor Truck Corp. was started in Marion Indiana and sold out in 1932 to White and moved to Ohio. Crosley later built these small cars in the same plant in Marion that my 1925 Indiana truck was built in. Thats about all I know about the cars but I could write a book on the trucks now. :-)

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 08:33 pm:

Bob M.
I lived in Marion, Ind. most of my life and worked in that factory for a short time. It was General Tire when I worked here. A friend of mine was a truck driver and used to deliver the Crosley automobiles. There is a Crosley Automobile Club that I used to belong to yrs ago and I think it was headquartered in Indiana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 09:03 pm:

Powell Crosley was quite interesting. He was a manufacturer of radios and other appliances. To give his radio buyers some programming, he owned WLW. Somehow he got permission from the FCC to broadcast "experimentally" at 500,000 watts. People around Cincinnati could hear the station on barbed wire fences, their glasses frames, and even their fillings.

The logo for the Crosley COpper BRAzed engine was, of course, a cobra.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 11:37 pm:

The copper brazed " Cobra " engine started out life as a WW 2 airdrop-able emergency pump powerplant for marine use . The pump weighed right at 100 lbs. complete , and was regular equipment during the war . It was used by the Navy and Coast Guard for torpedoed ships , battle damage , and the like . Powell Crosley bought the design rights and production line machinery after the war to give his post-war Crosley a " real " engine . The copper-braised stamped-steel block proved to be very prone to corrosion ( no common anti-freeze use back then ) , as well as quick cylinder wear , and was superseded by cast iron in a couple of years . They were a GREAT little 748c/c engine that would rev up to 10,000 RPM and live , in the " H Modified " class of the Sports Car Club of America races from the `50`s to the `70`s , or so . The stamped-steel block engine weighed about 80lbs . and the cast iron one around 100lbs. The rest of the car wasn`t much to talk about ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 11:49 pm:

The 4 cylinder Crosley engines have quite a twisted history. From the "tin" block to cast iron through WW2 to a few outboard motors.

When I was a kid we had a Fagoel outboard and replaced it with a Homelite outboard, both originated as the Crosley engine.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/history/bearcat.html

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:19 am:

Jim : WOW , Thanks for the link , it`s GREAT , and expands and corrects the " Cobra " engine story . History before ego , always !! Back in 1967 , I lived in the North County , San Diego area . I bought up every Crosley engine I could find in the North County ( 6ea. ) while I was in High School there . I paid a visit to Crofton , who were still in business in San Diego , to get some parts and a catalog . They were barely afloat , business-wise , then . Still had a LOT of Crosley inboards , outboards , parts , Crofton Bugs , etc. lying around the warehouse that they worked out of . They manufactured the Pesco roots supercharger , too . Interesting , but depressing visit . It was apparent , even to me as a 17 year-old kid , that they were not long for the business world . Sad .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:53 am:

My Dad had a sweet spot for the Crosley's. He owend two new ones after the war. He drove those little cars across the country twice. Once with his little sister as a cross country adventure. When I saw pictures of those trips, I could not believe how small they were. When I saw one in person, again - I could not believe how small they were :-)My Dad said he had very good luck with them, was sorry to see them go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:08 am:

If memory serves me correctly, Lou Fageol bought the rights to Crosley. He built a 4 wheel drive Porsche with two porsche engines, 1 driving the front and 1 the rear. I'm not sure he still had F W D Truck Co. that manufactured 4 Wheel drive trucks or not. There was a Fageol Crosley sitting in the Passenger side driving a blower that fed the two porsches..He set records in the east in hill climbs and entered it in Pebble Beach Sport car race in the early '50s. He was doing very well until the throttle stuck open, and ran off the track. It certainly had a strange sound to it.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:26 am:

These are a few pictures of the 1942 Crosley my dad bought.

Pic removed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 11:22 am:

The AACA has a forum that covers Crosley, Cushman, King Midget, & Whizzer. There are probably plenty of sources of information there. Here is a link to that forum. Hope it helps you out.

http://forums.aaca.org/f176/

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:25 pm:

I owned and restored a prewar Crosley. Got a Jr 1st at Hershey and Sr 1st at Dearborn AACA in 1995. The car was later sold to a Buddy Barker of Jerusalem Ohio (lost track of him some years ago - suspect he has pased on). He owned a large scrap yard and collected cars.

For pre-war and postwar Crosley stuff, goto

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Crosley/

I also submitted an article on my old C10 Chrysler Airflow there.. a neat site for car buffs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:24 pm:

Hmmm – I wonder if Crosley drove a T

Powel Crosley Jr.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Explosive Engine Starter
Patent number: 1302637
Filing date: Jun 18, 1918
Issue date: May 6, 1919
http://tinyurl.com/6n4m3p5
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6n4m3p5

Crosley’s patents covering many things he produced are an easy search using Google,
and include some for vehicles and auto, aircraft and boat engines.
https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=%22Powel+Crosley%22&num=10

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 09:29 pm:

As an owner of a Model T as well as four Crosley's (including a prewar like the one above), I'd encourage all folks interested in these great little cars to meander over to the Crosley Auto Club (www.crosleyautoclub.com) for more information and to join the ranks.

Powell saw himself very much as the next Henry Ford, and at one point, was the world's largest manufacturer of radios and refrigerators. Many people have heard of the Crosley Pup radio or the Crosley Shelvador refrigerator.

Although small, Crosley automobiles were actually quite technically advanced: prewar cars had horizontally opposed air cooled Waukesha motors, while post-war cars shipped initially with what are popularly known as "tin block" Copper Brazed overhead cam motors. Crosley also the distinction of using 4-wheel disc brakes on every car they made at one point and was for a while the world's largest manufacturer of station wagons. A Crosley Hot Shot also took first place at Sebring in 1950.

There are tons of Model T owners with Crosleys -- the spirit is very much the same. Parts availability is outstanding, with four or five big vendors (Service Motors in Twelve Mile, Indiana being one) and virtually everything is available. The national meet happens every year in Wauseon, Ohio and is a blast to attend.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration