Something I didn't know. Georga techs. Dean Floyd
Field's 1914 Motel T is what started the Rambling
Reck tradition and mascot. Believed to be some time in the 20's. Do you have any more Info.??
This info is from a GA Tech webpage.
The first mechanical mascot Ramblin’ Reck was owned by Dean of Men Floyd Field. Field bought a 1914 Ford Model T Fordor as his first car and would drive the vehicle every day to and from class from 1916 to 1929.
It was in 1926 that Dean Field’s Tin Lizzie was first nicknamed the Ramblin’ Reck. Field had just finished an overhaul of the vehicle with the aid of the campus machine shop. The student body was concerned that Field was dispose of the Ford but was relieved to find ““Ramblin’ ‘Reck Still On Campus.” Three years later, however, the first Ramblin’ Reck mascot could no longer take the long distance travel of Floyd Field and he disposed of the vehicle to the dismay of the student body. The following 1929 Technique excerpt expressed the student body’s passion for the vehicle:
‘The car itself was a stimulus to flaggering spirits. What persistence lay in its performance, as year in and year out it hauled the Dean to and from school. Of course its body was not in keeping with the latest styles, or its color one to excite an artist, but what can be more beautiful that faithfulness, who can ask more of machinery other than to have it run.’
The Modern Reck
In the 1940’s and 1950’s, Tech campus became a haven for shoddy, beat-up, and barely running student Recks. It was a rite of passage to own a Ramblin’ Reck. Dean Dull saw this passion for the classic automobile and channeled it into one of his many great endeavors. He went on a full scale search for a new official Ramblin’ Reck mascot. He wanted a pre-World War II Ford that could represent Georgia Tech’s rich engineering heritage.
After a year of searching, the perfect vehicle was accidentally put at the doorstep of Dean Dull’s Towers Dormitory apartment. An immaculate 1930 Ford Model A Sports Coupe was parked right outside of Towers. The owner was Ted Johnson, Chief Pilot for Delta Airlines out of Atlanta. He and his son, Craig, had restored the vehicle as a father son project. Johnson had taken the Old Ford to Tech campus in the Fall of 1960 to enjoy a track meet. The moment Dean Dull spotted the car he knew that he needed to purchase the vehicle. After several months of persuasion, Dull purchased the car for $1,000 on May 26, 1961.
Dekle Rountree was the first student to drive the Ramblin’ Reck at a football game. On September 30, 1961, Georgia Tech was playing Rice University. The Ramblin’ Reck rolled onto the field, Don Gentry explained the acquisition of the vehicle to the crowd, and the vehicle became the new Ramblin’ Reck mascot in front of 43,501 Tech faithful. Tech won the game 24-0. Dekle took the Reck to its first road game at Legion Field against Alabama in 1961 and the Reck’s first bowl game in the 1962 Gator Bowl.
The role of Reck Driver fell into Reck Club’s responsibility as many members of Student Council were also members in Reck Club. The strict discouragement by the Institute of RAT Rules hazing meant that Reck Club needed more wholesome roles on campus. And by 1967, Reck Club was the sole student group in charge of the The ownership of the car changed hands in the 1980’s. The original $1,000 dollar payment was donated back to the Alexander-Tharpe Fund in 1983 by Ted Johnson. Then, in 1987 the Institute acquired the Reck from the Athletic Association for $0. The car was officially under the Dean of Students and became “property of the student body.”
On June 15, 2007, the Ramblin’ Reck was severely damaged in a trailer accident that left the entire body severely disfigured and the roof smashed in. With only 85 days to restore the totaled Ford before Tech’s home opener, Ramblin’ Reck Club, Georgia Tech, and local businesses united to restore the Ramblin’ Reck.