Rustoleum black

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Rustoleum black
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 11:47 am:

I know there was a thread about this awhile back but I can't seem to find it.
I was thinking of painting some parts with it(rustoleum) and was concerned about the longevity.
What about adding some hardener? Would that help maintain the color?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:17 pm:

If you are referring to the 6 month long Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy aerosol paint experiment that was started in January of 2011, I am planning on posting a followup on the experiment, shortly, that will move it to the top. Since it is an aerosol, you would be unable to add any activator to it to increase its' life but, if protected from the elements, it will last indefinitely and even if it is not protected from the elements and it dulls or oxidizes, it can be compounded to a mirror-like shine in a few minutes. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:22 pm:

It would not move to the top. See www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/182651.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:34 pm:

For many years I used rattle cans of flat black epoxy enamel for chassis parts. It held up wonderfully. Since that became impossible to get, I've been painting chassis parts with Rustoleum satin finish. So far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:56 pm:

Brian...

For 30 years I did chassis over with a mix of Rustoleum Black and Rustoleum Clear (while you could still get it)...no regrets, great hardy stuff, but if you wanted to shave in it, better bring your own mirror. Best part was a chip allowed for instant and seamless repair that after about 3 weeks mellowed into the background unseen.

Based on Jim Patrick original comments, and then his decision to go and try a weathering experiment...I decided the 2011 resto of some fenders would be done in the Rustoleum Rattle Can Expoxy Black. This you COULD shave in once applied, almost too reflective for me...but then I had an offshore work assignment for a few months and when I came back took a look and found myself saying....NICE...as the reflection had mellowed and the black now matches everything else on the car.

I look at it this way, I did all of the prep work on the fenders to my satisfaction as it was Hack rear fenders made out of 2 touring fenders each, the local paint shop wanted 150 bucks each to shoot them in single stage....the price didn't bother me, but I had been reading Jim journal, and for an 11-12 buck rattle can said, "Why not...can always do them over again" and while my Hack is garaged, I think I will be just fine...just do be careful on a 2nd coat...they mean what they say on the can! On the second fender I waited the 10 days and that one came out 'sweet'...the first one I did have to re-do because I was in a 'yeah right' let's get it done mode. I'm bad with rattle cans, always have been, but I'd ventur to say that someone who knows how to handle a rattle can can actually get away with one coat and then just let the glare mellow out before you touch it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 02:04 pm:

Thanks guys!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration