Gunk in the tank.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Gunk in the tank.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 06:32 pm:

OK, As I've posted here before, back in 79 I coated the inside of my tank because that was the thing to do back then. But now with Ethenol fuels it's disolving. Many of you told me what to use to get the goop out of my tank, problem is, I can't find anybody carring MEK, Methelene or what-have-you, I'm afraid LA has gone too green.

So now my question is, will it hurt anything to just leave it in there and let it run through the engine? I'm thinking, that eventually it'd be all disolved and then it won't be a problem anymore. Or will this be a in the long run hurt my engine? As I remember the stuff I used back when smelled an awful lot like ether, so it has some sort of spirit base and should burn (although a dirty burn) anyway. Any thoughts on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 06:35 pm:

Mek,wow,I bought mine at the local hardware.
Do you know someone out of state that can "bootleg"a couple gallons to you?
What type tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:48 pm:

The question here, is it dissolving or decomposing in little pieces? I'm sure back in 79, they weren't thinking about the effects of methanol (ethanol?) when they made the tank coatings. Do you know somebody who can boil out the tank for you and then re-seal it with some of the new stuff?
22 years on a tank sealing job ain't half bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 11:24 pm:

Dennis,
I thinks it's disolving, because it's kind o a gooey consistancy in little globs. But it does run through the carb, it's just that is leaves a coating sort of like varnish on the intake side. I noticed it when I took my old carb apart and when I drained the tank I saw these little globs of goop floating around in the gas.

Mack,
It's a Touring's oval tank. And it would do no good to try and get somebody out of state to send me some due to the hazardous nature of the chemical. Remember California wants to be the "Greenest" state in the nation and right along with that is the city of LA wanting to lead the way, I'm screwed on two fronts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 12:37 am:

Martin,I believe a radiator shop can git it out and seal it too. That's what I would do, I am in L.A. too, you going on the pasadena git together tomorrow ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 01:23 pm:

Acetone will do the job and it's still available here on the central coast. When you have it cleaned up, slosh the tank with Phenol Novolac from Caswell plating. www.caswellplating.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 03:34 pm:

It probably depends on what sealer was used, but a guy I know had dissolved sealer clog his fuel system. I didn't see it, but from what he described, I imagined a thick gooey substance that wouldn't make it through the system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Brown on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 07:41 pm:

I'm surprised that you haven't already stopped up the carb, its just a matter of time till all that gook finds a resting place. I think your best bet is to pull the tank and take it to a radiator shop (if you can still find one) and let them cook it clean. Engine machine shops can also provide this service. Then try starting all over and re-seal it again, or just replace the tank which you might wind up doing anyway if it doesn't come clean. If you do reseal it, check to see if there is any claims that the sealer that you are going to use is alcohol resistant or you will be doing it all over again.
I have had a new tank in my 25 for 10 years now and no sign (knock on wood) of any problems from the ethanol yet.
good luck

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration