Question regarding fiberglass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Question regarding fiberglass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:34 pm:

I have traced fiberglass fibers back to the late 1800's. When was it first used for or on cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:50 pm:

Glasspar G2 was born in 1949 was the first production fiberglass car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasspar_G2

Or:
First fiberglass body - 1952 Woodill Wildfire (low production)
First fiberglass bodied 4-door Sedan - 1970 Anadol A2
First fiberglass bodied Station wagon / Estate car - 1973 Anadol SV-1600
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_superlatives

Also:
The Corvette wasn't the first fiberglass bodied vehicle to exist, but it was the first mass produced car to utilize the material for its body panels.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:50 pm:

When I bought this fiberglass Devin-VW in 1959, it was already a few years old, and on a 1951 Deluxe chassis. This pic was enroute from Champaign, Ill, to San Diego in 1963. I built the trailer using a 1948 Anglia front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber Spanaway, Wa. on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 11:27 pm:

Kenworth started using fiberglass for body parts in 1959.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 02:48 am:

Don't forget the Kaiser Darrin. 1954 I think.
Drive carefully, and Happy New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Philpott on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:02 am:

Don't forget the Chevrolet Cameo Carrier pickup box, started in 1955 and was the first to lead to the El Camino.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration