Oil Circulation Sensor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: Oil Circulation Sensor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:14 am:

You "If it ain't original, it ain't needed" guys just move along quietly, and save your time and money for your next premature engine overhaul.
--------

It's better than dual petcocks, better than an oil sight gauge, better than a dipstick, and better than an oil pressure gauge in pump-equipped cars. It tells you there is oil circulating all the time the engine is running. Get a quart low, and it flashes at idle. Get two quarts low, and it is on solid at idle, and flashing at speed.

Several years ago some guy in KY obtained a large stock of NOS Ever-Ready Automatic Oilers, and sold them on tbay. I bought a few, and am sure glad. The setup consists of:

Quart sized oil tank mounted on the engine with a solenoid controlled drain into the oil filler

Large idiot light for the dash

Sender/switch mounted to the underside of a replacement hogshead cover

The sender consists of a small hinged box that catches oil that slowly drains through small holes at the hinge end. The box is spring loaded to rise and make contact with an insulated rod, grounding it out when there is little or no oil being splashed into the box. As long as there is oil splash, the box is full, and no contact.

I run just the sender and idiot light. It has saved my engine more than once.

I suppose the oil tank would be good for those crazies who run just two quarts of oil in the Montana 500.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/105617.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By les schubert on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:45 am:

Ralph
Thank you for information. That is a really interesting idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 08:30 pm:

Thanks, Ralph. Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 09:21 pm:

Oh man, I saw some of these on ebay. I think they're so cool! Having the oil supply replenished as it burns/leaks out is great.

I can't believe you can resist putting the whole gizmo on the car Ralph!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay-In Northern California on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 09:52 pm:

Ricks, Yup I also bought a few about ten years ago .....Great minds think alike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 09:54 pm:

It might be a bit more trouble on the Fronty, Christopher:

Come to think of it, filling that tank might be easier than maneuvering around the disturbutor. I'll have to look into that.

To me, this is the third most valuable improvement you can make on a T.

#1: Front Brakes
#2: A real steering gear.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 09:56 pm:

Actually, Jay, I was a bit of a dim bulb on this one. Reid Welch saw the benefit of it right away, and convinced me..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:39 pm:

I see! Not much room under that hood!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 11:24 am:

I have one of those NOS for sale also danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 11:32 am:

O.K. Can we have more photos of the mechanism please as I am just not getting how the sensor part functions. Any real time oil indicator would be of interest as the factory oil loss indicator is the knocking rod sound. I hate that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 12:07 pm:

Ralph asked me to post these photos I took yesterday of his original and repro units at the Orange County safety inspection event. Very, very, cool. I want one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 01:01 pm:

Great to meet you, Chris. Come back again.

I didn't lie, I mis-remembered. Isn't that what politicians say?

The door is not springloaded, as I said in the first post. That coil spring looking thing is a ground wire.

Though not shown like that here, the counterweight at the back of the box holds it up against the stud, providing a ground for an idiot light, and for the oiler.

When the engine splashes oil, it fills the box, and opens the circuit, extinguishing the idiot light. A calibrated hole slowly drains the oil, allowing the box to rise again and make contact with the stud when oil circulation is lacking.

If you want to use the oiler, you need voltage to its solenoid only when the engine is running. You can take that voltage from the generator, ahead of Regan's regulator, or from a dedicated switch.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 03:37 pm:

So who makes/sells the repro's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 06:22 pm:

No one, you must find a NOS one or used set-up

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration