1926 Rear Ends

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: 1926 Rear Ends
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cassara Long Island, NY on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 08:47 pm:

I have two 1926 chassis. Each has a rear end with 8" drums. Was the 11" drum an option or do I have chassis with the wrong rears?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 08:55 pm:

1926-27 had the long rear crossmember and fender bracket horns riveted on in the front. Also had a 2 rivet E brake ratchet. Got frame numbers?? ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cassara Long Island, NY on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 09:07 pm:

Fender horns riveted to the fender on both chassis. Frame numbers are September 1926 on one. The other has a clear engine number but the chassis is not stamped well. The visable portions match the engine also 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 09:34 pm:

Wrong rears. The encyclopedia doesn't say anything about the 11" brakes being optional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:19 pm:

Both of Bruce's books have factory pictures of 26 prototypes with small drum rears. Apparently the large drum was a production decision made very early in 26 production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:27 pm:

But september 1926 is actually 1927 model year and over a year after the start of production of the improved Ford, so there's no chance John's chassis had small drum rear ends from start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By clayton swanson on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:29 pm:

26-7 wide rear cross member with higher camel hump in the rear member and different spring arch, and front has lower spring arch and spindles with axle height higher than center of king pin. big drums mo definatly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 02:09 am:

There has been some discussion in the recent past that the large drum rear end may have even been introduced late in 1925 models on some sedans. I don't know if it is true or not. But I am fairly certain that no 1926 models were sold new with small drum rear ends. It was not uncommon for cars or chassis to wind up with the wrong one years later, however.
drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 03:52 am:

The large drums definately came with the '26 intro as far as I've ever determined. I also do believe that the 2nd calendar quarter of 1925 4 doors were a mix and thats where they got the bugs out before the new model.

Way too many late 25 Fordors with large drums as a percentahe basis on total survivors that have been on cars forever...many hold, ah, the olds were replaced! Funny, almsot never find it on anything '25 built before April...yet after then way more than average show up near unmolested with 'large'

Either that second quarter production of small drums on fordor only was crap using rejects and leftovers, and needed replacement early...or the evidence strongly suggests ford ran a few batches of 'bigs' in the last of the 25 Fordors.

Now, for the same reason I tell folks with late 25 Fordors to think before changing out to small...there is always that branch question and how late branches came along and caught up, and worked out their own inventory situation. One thing I have found is the late '25's with 11's? Neither standard brake rod goes in easy...but have never found reference to a 'tweenie'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cassara Long Island, NY on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 07:57 am:

What years used a one piece brake shoe. The rear I am using had a full shoe in place.

Oh well it is what it is. The only problem, I ordered 26-27 brake springs. Now I have an excuse to put together an other order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cassara Long Island, NY on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:13 am:

Below is the encyclopedia entry. It looks like brake pad used through 25 was two piece. It then changed to a one piece with one spring. I have a single spring setup with the 8 inch drum. The pad is one loop of spring steel reaching from the top to the bottom on the backing plate. Do I have something different or am I misinterpreting the information?

Encyclopedia Entry - Brakes
center>1913-1925 Cast iron but now used two springs, each about 3-3/8'' long. The flat spring was discontinued. The brake shoe support bolt was changed from a fillister head to a hex head in early 1913.

Note: These shoes were cast and machined in one piece but were supposed to be broken at the anchor point when installed.

1926-1927
Pressed steel, with riveted-in-place lining, to match new 11" drums. Used one coil spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:48 am:

John

The large drum hand brake('26-'27) looks like this. Woven mat'l on steel band.

The small drum hand brake looks like this, cast iron single piece, these are often found 'broken' at the hinge point of the retaining bolt.

A popular accessory made by many aftermarket cos are 'woven' lining on steel band for the small drum.....maybe your small drum has these on one side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cassara Long Island, NY on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 12:55 pm:

Dan I have the setup in your last picture. I know for sure the drums are 8". I just thought it was strange that I should get two 26 chassis with small drums. My luck, need I say more...

Thanks again to every one for the information. Much easier to progress when there is some one to bounce even the simpliest of questions off.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:10 pm:

I think you also have to take into account the commercial chassis which have lots of parts combinations from the ones I've seen, also you never know what a dealer may have put together. KB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration