Generator suggestions, please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: Generator suggestions, please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 06:12 pm:

I purchased a Fun Projects voltage regulator and a set of new brushes and a special wrench for adjusting the third brush.

After getting everything all together, and following the instructions that came with the regulator, I got the third brush correctly set.

Problem: the nut that holds the third brush in position is now located in such a place that I can't turn it with the wrench. It's under part of the structure of the generator. I can get the wrench on it, but can't turn it far enough to get the wrench onto the next set of flats.

The only way I can see to get to the nut to turn would be to take it all apart and Dremel a slot in the generator frame, to let the wrench swing far enough to turn the nut 1/6 of a turn. For obvious reasons I'd rather not do that - although I will if that's the only way!

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 06:15 pm:

Try a small point setting wrench with the box end on it. They can be a bear sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 06:55 pm:

I have a set of ignition wrenches which are worth their weight in gold.
It's a tricky place to get at but I haven't had any problem as the ignition wrenches have one end which is offset....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 07:12 pm:

Peter
Take a look at this photo.
Is your third brush oriented inside the generator case as shown? If so there is no reason why you cannot tighten the third brush clamp nut with the 5-Z-806 wrench.
On the other hand your generator could be assembled incorrectly and the third brush is located in the wrong place in the brush cap.
If your generator is assembled correctly and you have to advance the third brush all the way to its extreme location (CW as viewed from the gear end)to get 5 amps charging the brushplate lead may not be adjusted correctly. There is an easy fix for that too.
Take a look and give me a call 11am to 4PM EST and we can discuss.
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Brown on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 07:40 pm:

It is easy to make a wrench. I took a boxed end wrench, heated it and bent it into a curve in a couple of minutes. It works better than the original type.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration