Wire wheel hubcaps?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: Wire wheel hubcaps?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Keil on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 07:48 pm:

How does one remove and install hubcaps on wire wheels with out losing the tension in the prongs that hold them on? Also how can the tension be restored to prevent rattling?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 08:16 pm:

Typically they don't need to be installed and removed very often, mostly when repainting the wheel or replacing a damaged hubcap. I put some duct tape around the prongs before installing in the wheel, then bend only about one third of the tabs around the circumference. With the tire supported so the hubcap doesn't touch anything, you may give each of the bent tabs an extra whack with a hammer and punch. The tape prevents rattling, the unbent tabs can be used for remounting if the hubcap ever needs to be removed again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 01:03 pm:

Glad I read this. Great idea Roger, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 03:33 pm:

I know some people, including myself that bend 3 or 4 tabs then use silicon rubber on the inside to hold them and keep them from rattling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 04:46 pm:

I like the silicon rubber idea. I'm working on a set that say "Made in Canada" for my Touring and I'll use the silicon idea when I re-install them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 11:34 pm:

I just wad up some foam rubber or the innerds from a foam pillow inside the hubcap and the end of the axle pressing on it prevents rattling. I also only bend every 3rd tab and keep the other two for the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 06:19 am:

After I bend a few tabs, I put a O ring over the outside of the cap.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration