Way out of my price range

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: Way out of my price range
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 03:53 pm:

Check this item out on t bay
item # 271115050134
some one wants this oil can bad, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 04:20 pm:

$202.50 was the final bid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 06:11 pm:

Why did that one sell for so much, I was told the expensive ones had patent numbers and mfg on the top around the spout. I bought one couple of months ago with the writing around the spout for $50, then one without writing sold for over 100.00 after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 10:06 am:

It looks like the relatively common one to me and I have several like it. It is my understanding too that the oil can with the writing on top and the bayonet style connection is the early one. What happens a lot with these things on ebay, is person #1 sees something they want and do not want to get outbid. So they put in a proxy bid of $201.50. Then person #2 comes along, not liking to get outbid, and bids $301.00. Person #2 wins the item at one dollar more than what person #1 bid: $202.50. Itís a case of two rich fools meeting in the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 10:46 am:

David -- You are correct, the ones with the patent date typically are high-dollar. I've seen several sell for over $200. But I expect Rick is right about this one. I often do what he described when I want something on ebay, bid way more than it's worth to be sure I get it and hope no one else does the same. It appears that two guys did that this time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 11:46 am:

His other oilcans didn't do as well if you look at his completed auctions. Dang, I need to sell a few of mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 12:17 pm:

I must have gotten lucky as I bought one for around $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OIL-TIN-MODEL-T-FORD-/160911950107?_trksid=p2047675 .l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=pfCnp2cjUNnbMLwR5xkYIsdm2Rc%3D&orig_ cvip=true&rt=nc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 02:42 pm:

There are examples with 2 patent different dates on this type Noera oil can. One with an April 4, 1908 date, and one with an April 14, 1908. Not sure why, or if one is rarer than the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 04:55 pm:

While commonly accepted as "brass era T," the MTFCI Judging Standards states that the bayonet-type can with the dates & mfr. was used throughout the T years. The common thread-top type, I therefore surmise, was used during the A and V-8 era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 07:07 pm:

Charles -- I have seen those two dates as well. I just figured they left out the "1" on the Apr. 4th date and it was a "typo". But I don't know that, of course. Here are some of the early cans, two with new copper plating.

cans

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration