Clutch disc drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: Clutch disc drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 02:16 pm:

having trouble removing disc drum. Do the puller jaws go in the round holes on the outer diameter or do they go behind the casting. I do not have the proper puller just regular pullers. What the secret?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 02:31 pm:

You need a pretty hefty 2 arm puller, and lots of Kroil or other good penetrating oil, let it soak some. Insert the puller grab arms into those holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 02:31 pm:

Norman,

The proper puller goes into the holes from the outer diameter. Any other puller could probably grab anywhere that's convenient. The secret is to pull like hell. A little heat wouldn't hurt either but don't go nuts as these are all heat treated parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 02:32 pm:

Norman : With the two bolts you have double the force
Toon
723R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 02:38 pm:

Oh..forgot the other secret tip, a big sledge to hit that puller screw after you lock it down, that will shock things loose :-)

Wear eye protection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 02:58 pm:

Be sure to go to the bathroom before you start. Occasionally, they let go with a BANG. If you're not ready for it, you may be changing your shorts. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 04:03 pm:

Its off! THANKS everybody. I turned my puller jaws around like in DAN's photo to pull from the inside, Used penetrating oil, a little heat. And a big hammer on the puller screw when it was under GREAT pressure. It was not a big BANG but it did pop a little. It fought me for about 3/4" then surrendered.
PS two of the triple gear bushings are stuck on the shafts and those gears are really sloppy the other one came out with the gear and I could push it out with my fingers and it was not near as sloppy as the other 2. THANKS AGAIN

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration