OT air valve repair?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: OT air valve repair?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 03:51 pm:

I have a small portable air tank that has a leaky shut-off valve. I found a replacement for it, but I am wondering if I can fix the old one somehow. Is that a replaceable o-ring that I see in the second picture? If, so, how would I put in a replacement?

air valve 01

air valve 02

Thanks for any help.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:35 pm:

Joe, I made my own set up from a tank off a simi truck and used pipe fittings I had around. Used a gas shut off for the valve and it will hold air for months. Originally bought a kit with the valve like yours and it did'nt last till the water got hot. KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 08:33 pm:

If I am correct, the valve you show is also a safety pressure release. Do not eleminate this feature but replace it with the correct valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 09:47 pm:

Jim,
Yes, it is a combination safety valve, shut-off, and hose connection. It will replace the old, leaky one perfectly and keep the safety valve intact.
I am just wondering if it is even feasible to try to repair the old one...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 12:19 pm:

Pull the circlip and the red knob and see what's under there. I'm guessing you'll find a pack nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 02:42 pm:

Well, this is the valve taken apart:

air valve 03

The valve part just screwed on through, but the two o-rings are hard as a rock. I am hoping that some new ones will take care of things, not?
Any way to test the relief valve to see if its seal is all dried out, too? It looks like it might screw out, but how?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 04:55 pm:

Looks like a valve stem for tube. Have you tried a core remover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 09:30 pm:

Jack,
It is a special fit stem for this application.
I was able to get the old o-rings off quite easily; they just crumbled, being so old and dried out.

valve 04.jpg

No wonder it leaked.
Now I need to find some replacements of correct size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 10:29 am:

In the second to last pic, what's in the little hole that can be seen under the ring that's on the relief valve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 05:35 pm:

That's the "exhaust port" for the relief valve...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration