Rear axle oil seal advice please?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: Rear axle oil seal advice please?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ian Dean on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 09:23 am:

I have grease leaking from around the rear hub, I've bought new leather oil seals, felts, a sleeve puller and hub puller. In order to refurbish the hub are there any simple illustrations that would aid the task?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 09:34 am:

Use the new Neoprene inner seals, pull bearing and the sleeve put these on behind and reinstall what you took out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:05 am:

John is right. Forget the leather seals and use neoprene. Here's a video showing installation with the axle out of the car. With it in the car, it's about the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ&list=UUFVx528ORtpDgCPJXbFCA6w&index=1 9

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 05:19 pm:

I used the neoprene seals and standard 90 wt gear lube. No leaks yet!

schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ian Dean on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 05:39 pm:

Obviously I need to go down the Neoprene route, but what is the easiest way to get the old leather seal out without causing damage? The Youtube video is very helpful, many thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 06:02 pm:

Assume the old seal is toast. With the bearing and sleeve removed, hook the old seal and pull it out. I'd try a piece of wire coat hanger for a hook. If that's not a strong enough hook, heat the end of a junk screwdriver orange and make a hook of the blade. Your hook has to be small enough to get past the leather, but big enough to grab the other side of the seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 06:07 pm:

Ian, We manufacture the neoprene seals. Mac's Antique auto copied our seal but they copied the old design. Our new design is better. The leather seals are ok but you have to shorten the metal spring fingers so they rest on the leather and not the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 06:21 pm:

Ian

I think the real issue is going to be how worn are your axles, bearings and sleeves. Most old T's have considerable wear at the outboard end of the axle. Slop out there makes it really difficult for any seals to do a good job (leather or neoprene).
After you have removed the wheel see how much movement vertically the axle can have. I have seen lots where there is 1/16" or more. This is tough for any seal to deal with well.
Personally I have found that the leather seals are more tolerant of less than perfect surfaces where the seal runs. Neoprene seals require a really good surface where the seal runs in my experience.
Often times as well people run too much oil in the rear axle which aggrevates the situation. I see you have a '23 with a small brake drum rear axle. On the 26-7 cars Ford relocated the oil fill hole lower down a good inch to reduce the amount of oil getting to the outboard bearings. I run the oil in my '13 at a level where I can just touch it with my finger tip if I dip it through the fill hole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 09:05 pm:

Les -- That is all good advice. And I don't mean to seem too picky, but I believe the filler hole was lowered in the '19 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 09:08 pm:

Ian -- The Ford Service book says to use 1-1/4 pounds (pints) of lube in the rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 09:13 pm:

Mike
Fair enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 08:24 am:

Mike is right. The filler plug is about 1 1/2" below the center line staring in 1919. Also the housing halves are machined for a gasket. Had to change out my 1919 roadster- had later rear end. So fill to the plug hole if it is below the center line.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration