I jumped my 6v TT with a 12 volt. It started fine. Now she is dead and I don't know what all I have done to the system. I did resolder the connection in the generator cutout. Still no juice.
Maybe your 6V battery is dead. Do you have a volt meter?
The starter turns it over, but no juice to the lights or battery.
Inline fuse kaput ?
If the starter turns over (with the original 6v battery) you have enough juice to light the lights.
Either a bad fuse somewhere or wiring fault.
Are you running buzz coils? Do they buzz when you turn the switch to battery? You might have to turn the hand crank to check with the switch on battery, make sure the spark is fully retarded. Could be that your ignition switch is not making good contact, if you have enough juice to turn the starter you should have enough for everything else. Check your switch connections.
I put a tattoo an my project.
Could the coils have been welded shut?
I don't think so, coils don't care about voltage too much, many people run 12 volts. I'm more concerned about voltage to and from your switch.
Bypass your switch with a jumper and try that. Maybe first ground out the generator.
Fried the ammeter. troop
Is that a starter relay? If you can turn over motor with it in system then you have voltage to where ever starter switch is connected. I'd go from there.
Just follow the voltage trail. find where it stops.
What ignition system do you have? There are two positions on the ignition switch. Left is for battery and right is for magneto. If the switch is turned left, you should have power to the ignition system from the battery and the coils should buzz. If the coils buzz, your engine should start. If you turn the switch to the right, you are on magneto. Sometimes they will start on magneto, but the usual way to start the car is to turn the switch to left and start on battery and then switch to magneto to run the car. If you have a distributor or other type ignition system, you could turn the switch either way depending on how the system was wired. Have you tried starting with the switch to the left, and then if it doesn't start, try with the switch to the right.
I think you have a fuse somewhere in the system which fuse has blown, or the ammeter has burnt out. Check the voltage from the battery to the ignition switch checking at each connection and you will find the source of the problem. If you should get it to run, be sure that the output from the generator is going through the ammeter. It will show charge if it is. If it is not going through the ammeter, you need to ground the output from the generator or you will burn out the generator
Please post what type of ignition system you have. It will help others to think of what the problem might be. Also post where you are located. Someone nearby might be able to visit you and help you go through the system.
My system is stock, no distributor. I always start it with switch to the left, not problem. Everything was fine and had never failed until I had to jump the battery. I will know better the next time. I will try to see if I have juice to the switch. Sounds like you guys point towards the ammeter. Will get back to you as soon as I get the brisket on the barbque pit and check out the switch.
Very Interesting! I take the ignition/ammeter plate off and reach over to see if the horn works and....wa la....honk, honk. I have no idea unless there was a wire grounding out on the dash. Anyway, the ole TT started right up. Merry Christmas y'all.
C'mon Troop, did you ask someone what the answer really was. Hey, by the way, Merry Christmas. And tell your chunky little buddy Merry Christmas too.
Troop knows how to read! Happy Festivus you heathen! troop
Oh you know me all too well. I remember my Dad always called us kids heathens. And, well, because of my Mother and him we pretty much were. But then I hear you and the chunky little buddy :-) are doing a lot of breakfasts after church on Sunday. And you know yourself he's a bad influence. Hahahahahahahahaha!
YUP... Im trying to get him to Temple next saturday. He swears like a sailor, but he votes, and always pays his taxes on time and deep down inside has a Big ol' heart of gold. All us kids looked like heathens through amber glass eh? troop
There is a contact at the bottom of the coil box which is connected to the ignition switch. The one I'm referring to is the one which contacts the bottom of all the coils. Take that wire off and connect another wire from that point on the coil box directly to the battery. The coils should buzz as you turn over with the crank. Now try to start the car. If it starts, you have eliminated the coils, the timer, and the coil box as the cause of the problem.
Next, disconnect that direct wire between the battery and the coil box, and turn the switch to the left. The wire you removed from the bottom should be hot. If it is not hot, go to the ignition switch and find the yellow wire. It should be hot. If the yellow wire is hot but the wire to the coil box is not, you have a bad switch. If the yellow wire is not hot you can trace it all the way through the ammeter and through the connecting block and back to the starter switch. So somewhere between the starter switch and the coil box there is a loose connection, or if it has a fuse, the fuse is blown or the ammeter or ignition switch is bad.
If the coils won't buzz when you have that direct connection to the battery, you have something wrong with the timer or the coil box, or the wiring between the coil box and timer.