Assembling Complete Engine/Trans From Short Block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2012: Assembling Complete Engine/Trans From Short Block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 10:11 pm:

Tomorrow, I plan to assemble an engine from short block to complete engine/trans. This engine will be stored and probably won't be started till spring, maybe early summer. I know to seal the engine up tight afterwards, but should I lubricate to prevent corrosion in places like cylinder walls and valve lifter area? I have a second engine to do the same to after I finish this one. It may not be started for as much as a year. Does the same prevention procedures apply to it, or should I do anything differently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 10:18 pm:

definetly lube everything, ive heard of people having problems using assembly grease because theres no oil pressure to push it out.

I wouldt be afraid to lube it with STP. but if your worried about a dry start i would simply flip it over when you go to start it and squirt everything with oil again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 10:19 pm:

Very important to lube the cam and cylinder walls.
Chassis grease will work just fine. Put motor oil on top of the pistons first so it will run down the sides of the pistons and get into the ring grooves.
Put the engine (short block) in a plastic trash bag and store in a dry place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 09:47 pm:

Terry, I'm assembling an engine this weekend and I'm using engine fogging oil, seems like it will work, and I had it in the shop . Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 12:00 am:

Clevite 77 assembly lubricant, you can put it on everything, if you are going to leave it set.

It will never gum up, dry out, or harden.

Herm.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration