Depot Hack Wood Species

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Depot Hack Wood Species
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J.Wenger on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 07:52 pm:

I am sure this question has been answered before but could not locate it in a thread (apology for repeating). My son and I are starting on his '26 T and want to make a Depot Hack. We want to use Ash for the main rails but how about the rest of the structure? I am concerned that too much weight will be added continuing with ash. I see the kits are offered in Oak which is still quite heavy. Any thoughts on Pine? Vertical members appear to be 2" x 2"? We are looking at various forum posted pictures for ideas.

Thanks all,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Hall on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 08:07 pm:

Hi Bob,
My Depot hack project is based on some original parts of a York 806 or 808 body. I am also using the Hudson Wagon Works plans as a reference. My original panels appear to be framed in white oak. I have also acquired a windshield section (maker unknown) and that is mixed hardwood, at least some of it maple. It does not appear from what originals I have seen, that anything but hardwood was used (except for the softwood thin panels framed with oak).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J.Wenger on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 09:01 pm:

Jon:

Thanks, Excellent info. Maybe I am too concerned on adding too much weight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Owen on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 09:14 pm:

Robert,
Our local club built a Hack out of totally donated parts from the ground up. We decided to make the body out of pine because it was inexpensive and easy to work with plus we were trying to copy an already existing Hack we had access to. Our thinking at the time was to get it the way we wanted it to look then use the pine parts as a template and re-construct someday out of oak. The pine worked so well we decided just to leave it alone and enjoy the car. Good luck, I'm sure you and your son will enjoy the experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Palmatier -- Durham, NH on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 01:22 am:

Robert,

Our original un-restored 1921 Mifflinburg Body Co. Suburban 130A bodied Depot hack appears to be all Hickory.

Regards, Roland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger A. Price on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 02:03 pm:

Roland,
Boy, that's a beauty. Must be fun to drive.
Rog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 02:33 pm:

Robert,

I have been playing with the Model T Ambulance drawings lately. The plans are dated December 3, 1918. The attached snapshot is part of the plan for the side of the body. They specify Ash or Hard Maple. And, the Ash is to be second growth.

model t body

Be sure to post a picture of your project when completed - and maybe as you go along.

Tom
Piquette Ts / Casual Ts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Van on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 04:06 pm:

Pine would be a poor choice for strength and weathering. Ash, oak or hickory would be best for a varnished finish. If you're going to paint it, poplar would be very good. Don't worry about weight, you're still probably going to be lighter than a Fordor sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawng on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:20 pm:

Robert,

We're building a York 803 body from Wagon Works Plans. Our body is entirely made from Ash. Look at the plans from Wagon Works for good detailed Hack plans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By EDWARD R LEVY on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:24 pm:

Good lookin Hack, I wonder what those fellows in the backround are thinking as they gaze down on "that modern invention"
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lowell E. Spicer on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:55 pm:

I built from Hudson and used all framing with white ash and panels of marine ply wood it has 3 to 1 gears and a ruxtel very good driver and its sweet speed on 95 is about 45mph soft wood will not be very durable. Lowell Spicer

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration