Do they make liquid solder?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Do they make liquid solder?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Poane on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:00 pm:

I tried to solder the seal where the metal (aluminum I believe) is welded and riveted to the gas tank. Not the brass threads. It does not leaks around the thread. Solder isn't sticking. Do they make a liquid solder? I have the E Z turn lubricant, but that's only for threads, I believe? Thanks for your help. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Hebert on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:25 pm:

No liquid solder but try J and B Weld. That stuff will seal and hold anything. Be sure the area is dry before you apply..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 07:26 pm:

Anyone still have those photos of the 1911 Ford that had a leaky gas tank last year?

Gas is nothing to play with, do the repair right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 07:30 pm:

Yes they make liquid solder. It is a glue with some metallic particles in it for electricity transmission. Very poor gluing and very poor electrical transmission. Good for low amperage cold soldered joints for volume controls and the like. Not good to hold things together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:02 pm:

There used to be a liquid solder, may still be, but it's bascially metallic Elmer's. J & B Weld's probably your best bet, done right it will fix a cracked head.

I've been looking for soldering paste which is real silver/lead solder in a tube, haven't seen in a long time & people give me a strange look when I ask for it, squeeze a little on a scrubbed copper joint put it together & zap with a propane torch perfect seal, Used it on a water heater in '82 lasted til 2004 & it was the tank that went not the pipes. Also used it make patches, a little sheet copper & paste.

Of course gas tanks & torches (unless totally flushed & dried) are not a great idea you may
end up in several counties.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:10 pm:

I really have to start using this computer.

http://ww.iso-tip.com/html/soldering_paste.htm

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:35 pm:

There is some stuff for sealing leaking gas tanks. Check the parts stores. Can also rub a bar of Ivory soap on it. Pre WW II repair trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:12 pm:

The secret to making solder stick is to have both parts totally clean and at the temperature that solder melts, which is about 360 to 370 degrees, depending on the lead to tin ratio.

The flux does the cleaning, but getting large parts hot enough with a small iron is not easy.

Using a torch on a gas tank sometimes is not healthy, unless all gas and fumes have been completely removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:23 pm:

Chuck,
I think my Father-in-Law used this stuff, he'd flush out the the tank with solvent, let it dryout for a about a week then put the "stuff" in, slosh it around real good & let it sit for about another week, it would create a liner in the tank.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Schroeder on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:08 am:

I use a product by Ames Plum-Loy. 50/50 solder-n-flux paste. Works great for sweat soldering. I am not sure, but I think McMaster-Carr sells it. Made by Ames Metal Products, Chicago 9, IL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:13 am:

I gas weld them but I leave the hole vented and fill tank with water. you might get an occasional "whoof",but that's all. You have to get that flange real clean and fairly hot to get a seal. I'm using a solder flux paste out of a place in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By royce on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:19 am:

Are new tanks still less than $120? What's it worth when your garage burns to the ground with all your stuff inside?

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:21 am:

Where do you get tanks for the 26-27 that fit in the cowl? I may have access to a 26 body but it doesn't have a tank.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:11 pm:

New tanks run from about $140 to $220 now, but still well worth the cost and very well made yet. The 1926-1927 tanks do not appear to be reproduced.

I would spend $150 for a new one, before I would spend $50 to have an old one repaired.

The new ones come clean and without any varnish or sludge included to stop up your carb and give you grief on a tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:59 pm:

Anyone know why they do not make the 26-27 tanks?

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 01:20 pm:

Travis,

Check the Yellow pages under sheet metal work, I know here there's places that make custom gas tanks, face it, ain't rocket science.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 01:42 pm:

We used to discharge a fire extinguisher into fuel tanks before welding them....I've still got the scars.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 01:43 pm:

There is a place in Danville Il. that makes them from plastic. I don't have their contact info though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration