square carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: square carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:18 am:

I Finally got the phone fixed that had these pictures in it from last year.This is a carb I shoulda bought but didnt have the extra dough.The seller said it was made for a T. It had the throttle hook up and all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 01:01 am:

This is a neat accessory carb for Model T's and as the tag says, it is a Sunderman. It runs on the principle of vacuum. One fellow I know said they ran well at higher speeds but sometimes had difficulty holding a good idle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 01:19 am:

I have the carb need the INTAKE thats SQUARE on the inside to match the carb!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 08:17 am:

Mack, I have a Sunderman in my collection but have never had the time to try it out on a Model T. Just about everything on the carburetor is squared off including the float. It has a modified accelerator pump and a "V" shaped screen in the body full of tiny holes that theoretcally breaks the gas droplets into a mist. Below are some pictures and text on the unit. I do not know if it works as claimed but the literature would make a T owner very enticed to buy one!...Michael Pawelek
sunderman1
sunderman2
sunderman3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 09:36 am:

I bought an NOS Sunderman model F carb at Chickasha. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:21 am:

I'm curious also. Let us know how it works!...Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:06 pm:

Well if I see that fellow again I will probably take a closer look and maby get it.He wanted a 100 bucks for it.I didnt know didley about it and was skeered to tie up that much in what might have been a toy radio controled boat anchor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 03:05 pm:

Weather looks good here so I'll let you know soon if I bought a boat anchor or not!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 07:32 pm:

Let's have the Drive Report for the Sunderman!
There are some floating around out here (~$100) and I need to know if I'm missing a premium item for a car! (LOL).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:01 pm:

Well I installed it Sunday and turned on the gas. I waited a couple minutes, then pulled the crank thru with the ignition off and the choke pulled.

Then I turned the ignition on and puled up. It sputtered a little. Then I pulled the throttle down a couple notches and pulled the crank. It fired right up and ran smooth but it immediately started leaking from the fuel line fitting. I had re - used the felt crush piece and it just was too old and rotten. I shut it off and turned the gas off at the tank.

Been at work a lot the past two days. I am going to have a slow day tomorrow so I can run over to Ron Millers shop to get some new felt packings.

From the minute or two I had it running it seemed responsive and idled smooth.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland Palmatier -- Durham, NH on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 09:51 am:

Hi Royce,

I suggest using the center rubber section from a 1/4" gas hose instead of the felt. No leaks, the fuel line is not "crushed", and it is re-usable.

Regards, Roland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By royce on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 07:39 pm:

Well I remmbered this morning that I had some of the crush sleeves in the running board box. Installed one of those and it quit leaking.

Opened the gas, pulled it thru with choke twice ignition off. Pulled the throttle down a couple notches, turned the ignition to "BAT" and pulled it up. Fired right up and ran good! I drove around the block once and it was obviously too rich, would not go over 25 and did not want to wind out even in low.

Back at the garage, not having any instructions I decided to tinker.

image/jpgRngine
MVC-039F.JPG (78.7 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 07:47 pm:

The carburetor has a lock nut below a knurled nut on the top. I figured this would adjust the amount of tension on the air door spring. Raising the knurled nut will put less tension on the air door, leaning the mixture. I raised the setting a couple turns and drove around some more.

Here's the engine:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/500368/fullsize/mvc-040f.jpg

Here's the carburetor:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/500369/fullsize/mvc-041f.jpg

It ran much better, but still could be a bit leaner. Back at the garage I added a couple more turns toward lean. It ran really good. I drove around for about an hour and it seems about like an NH carburetor, maybe a little better idle quality because it will idle down really slow.

So overall I guess despite the weird appearance these work pretty good.

Royce

image/jpgFront
MVC-038F.JPG (83.6 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:08 pm:

Hi Royce:
Did you wind up doing anything with the square to round transition at the intake we discussed? Just curious whether a fluid builup might result?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 07:53 am:

I decided to just bolt it on. The '13 aluminum intake has a slightly larger hole than the later iron intake you and I were looking at. Little if any of the carb opening is being blocked. If you were going to use it with the iron intake it might make sense to enlarge the area around the square to make a transition.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:05 am:

Royce, Are you still running the Sunderman carb?
How do you like it after a few months?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:36 pm:

The fellow that had the carb last year at the reunion,didnt show up this year.So I didnt get a chance to see if he still had it or not for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 02:45 pm:

Jeff,

I had it on there for a couple months.

It always ran fine but I put a Stromberg OF on because I like the idea of a brass float as opposed to the cork float in the Sunderman.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ralph on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 07:35 pm:

There is a Sunderman on tbay right now. Here is the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK% 3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280130431244&rd=1,1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 09:32 pm:

Look again. The carb on tbay isn't the same as the ones above and doesn't appear that it will work on a T. The throttle shaft and mixture screw are on different sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jh1427 on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:48 pm:

LIVE & LEARN

Last week I won the Sunderman carb that was re-listed on tbay, the same one in the link above. I do have some new information to add to our collective brain trust. Sunderman did also make a LARGER carb size F( not for Ford) if you look at the carb in the lit post from Michael then look at the pic from the ebay auction the mounting tabs are at 90 degrees and is larger. I will try it on a different toy soon just for the heck and because over all it's in great shape, but will never go on a stock T. The cork float looks new but the rest is free and needs some TLC and some polish. In this picture the shot is looking at the top of the carb looking down on the body and should be set with the name plate up. Jerry

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration