TT tires / rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: TT tires / rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mecanikus on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:26 am:

Hi all,

I want to re-build my wheels on my 26 TT. I have in the rear 20" rims and the rims are really bad (holes trhough them). The part with the wood fellows seems to be good.

I want to know if new rims are available. If so, where can I get them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 08:22 pm:

They are available at 600.00 ea, for the split 20 in rim, the 29-30-31 AA rear rim is the same, cut out the rivets that hold the centers press them out, weld up the holes, and grind smooth, same 600 x 20 in rim, I just made a pr out of the 28 in WWheel, man what a grinding job, almost 3 afternoons getting all those spokes ground down, never again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Melo on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 01:27 am:

I might be able to help on the rim issue. I ended up with 2 extra 20" used rims after restoring my 1923 TT fire engine. They do not match, one has the split ring for mounting a tire and the other locks together at a split in the rim. I have not mounted a tire on either rim but they look to be in excellent used condition. If you are interested please email or call me. You may not be able to get through company fire walls with email so call if that does not work. I will probably not be able to respond quickly because I am traveling on business.

Wes Melo
825 Umpqua College Road
Roseburg, OR 97470

Cell:541 580 2081
Home:541 672 5561

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Maxwell on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 03:27 pm:

Universal Vintage Tire has new rims. Visit our website or call me with any questions.
http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=296

Eric Maxwell
Universal Vintage tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 07:28 pm:

Well they are not 600.00 ea, they are 695.95 ea! see web site above

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Maxwell on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:03 pm:

Well John, Quality isn't cheap, but for those wanting brand new steel, it's well worth it, but not for everyone.
They are nice if you haven't seen them up close.
Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:08 am:

Eric,Quality is priceless,but for that much money they should be gold plated! I realize they are a slow mover,but that's one reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Maxwell on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 09:02 am:

Well, Not too slow of a mover as they also are used on other applications besides TT Trucks. Also, let's make sure we are talking about the same thing. Further up in the post, johnd mentioned split rims...Split rims are different than Lock Ring rims. Notice the "Split Rims" we sell are $195 http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=25288&category_i d=351
Using the Split rim Jack like for the 21" Demountable style.
I do believe some early TT trucks use Split Rims, No?

Eric / UVT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 09:39 am:

There are two different size rims used on the TT. The 20 inch rims used the lock rings and the 23 inch rims were split rims. The split rims are available new as mentioned above. The 20 inch rims are not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:27 am:

Dave the 20 in w/snap ring are available above 695.00 ea, and yes 23 in TT rears are split rims, w/bolt lock just like some T rims

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:37 am:

John,

Sorry - didn't look at the links. I just assumed they were the 23" split rims. I didn't realize the 20" snap ring rims were available. My Bad.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:55 am:

Just a guess here but I assume the holes rusted through are at one location of the wheel only (the part what was sitting in the dirt for 50 years for instance).

If it were mine and that was the case and given the price of a new rim, I would tack weld some angle iron on the face to stabilize the rim and them cut out the bad portion. Find a late model truck rim (school bus, etc.) and cut a repair section out of the donor.

Once welded in place and the welds are ground flush it would be undetectable. At that point grind off the tack welds on the angle iron that was used to hold the rim stable and you're done.

At this point you have nothing to loose. Those who know me know that I love to fix things like this that others have determined as being "unfixable".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mecanikus on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:58 pm:

thank you all for the information.

Gary, I like your route the best.

I want to know what you mean by a late model truck rim. Should I be looking for a 20" rim?

Won't the bead be different? I don't mind doing the work I just need to know what to look for.

I was thinking of using the 2 bad ones to make 1 good one and buying just the one but if I can fix both, that's would be a lot cheaper and I could apply the savings to something else.

Sebastien

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 01:20 pm:

Something on the order of a 8:25 X 20. These are very common. I would venture to guess that the grove where the lock ring attaches is not rusted out and should not be cut out either.

Using a late model rim would be worst case. You may be able to use plate that has been rolled to the correct arc and weld it in place. Only if the lock ring groove or outer flange is rusted away would you really need a donor rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mecanikus on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 01:56 pm:

Unfortunately the bead is done for in a section.

Where would I find the 8:25 x 20 rims? Scrap yard? Is this what I ask for? What do you mean by late model rim? Is that 2007 or is it 1920?

Sorry for all the questions!!
Sebas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 02:21 pm:

Pretty much anything made from about the 1930's on. I saw a TT in MS once that the 96 year old owner got a rim off of a truck or bus or something that used 7:50 X 20 tires. He cut the rim in two and took out the material necessary to produce a rim of the correct width. I remember he commented that he used about 10 disc on his angle grinder to do both rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 02:32 pm:

Well I do know the rim groove is similar on the wheels of my dads Dodge dump truck that uses 9-00 20's
It was common for hotrodders back years ago to take 2 rims,split 1 down the middle and weld the rim from another in to make a wide wheel.Looks like simlar could be done with a truck wheel,just slice it in the center,remove material to the right thickness,and reweld.Use the lock ring from the later truck allthought it may not look quite the same,it is made to fit that groove.Use of a plamsa cutter and wire feed welder would be best for less distortion due to heat.
I dont question the quality of the new avaliable rims,I am sure they are good and hopefully as time goes by they will become more affordable,but for my budget a 10 dollar truck wheel to experiament on would be a good thing if the experiment worked.
And to be honest,if you could cut the width of a newer truck wheel down that wasnt a multipeice rim,that would make things alot safer and unless you really got down and looked probably wouldnt anyone know the difference

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 09:55 pm:

There are a LOT of 6:00 x 20 rims around. Old Internationals used them, a lot of GM trucks used them up into the 1950's so you should be able to find something to adapt to the TT without having to narrow them. I've never tried to fit anything to a TT wheel since my trucks have good rims -- one still has tires from the 1930's on it -- but I would sure try to figure out how to use something other than 700 buck rims on my budget.

Don't overlook farm tire stores if you need rim work done. Many of them have a machine that will replace bad spots in tractor rims or will weld the two halves together, etc. Many tractor rims are damaged around the valve stem area due to calcium chloride, which is used for weight inside the tire when mixed with water and pumped into the tube, leaking and corroding the area. The last tractor rim I had fixed was sectioned there, a part of the bead replaced and one lug replaced for around a hundred bucks. It was a 14.9 x 28 rim. Interesting what demand does to prices. I just bought a 11.2 x 28 rim for a Ford Naa Jubilee tractor I'm working on and it was $140 from the local tire store. They had half a dozen in stock. Several years ago I had two new rims, two tubes & two Kelly Springfield tires put on a Ford 600 and the total bill was around $700. The tires still look like new, they haven't discolored or cracked like the India or Chinese ones do, either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sebastien Landry on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:53 am:

Can any of you guys help me with scrap yard phone numbers that would carry late model rims. There aren't that many around my place.

I removed one of my rims yesterday and it is in worst shape than anticipated. Not only part of the bead is gone but the inside is also rotted so I can't fix it and I anticipate the other one nbeing worst.

I don't mind doing the work (using a model AA rim), removing the center, rivets, welding and grinding but I just don't know where to find them.
Remember that if I want to do the work it's because I want them to be cheap ($100 for a pair maybe).

On a good note, the fellow are in great shape, I just need to replace the spokes.

Help anyone??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Ogdon on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:24 pm:

Last year I purchased a rolling chassis to get the pneumatic rims off it for my 1923 TT C cab. It currently has solid rubber tires on it. If there is a lock rim on these, then they are rusted tight! I have been soaking them with PB Blaster. If I can't get the lock rings off in one piece, can I get new ones?

Ron Ogdon

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration