Window Slides

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Window Slides
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward P. Keller on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 04:20 pm:

Can someone give me some hints on installing new glass channel-felt for window slides on my 24 FORDOR? What's the best way to remove the old channels and install the new ones?
Thanks - ED

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:05 am:

Removal:
First, put the glass to the bottom. Remove the window garnish moldings. Loosen the old channel by prying away from the door channel from the lowered glass to the top. When it's loose, you should be able to stretch the felt channel enough to lift the upper hook out the slot in the door. Repeat on the other side. With the tops of the felt channel loose, remove the fasteners on the regulator and slide the lift arm out of the glass setting channel. Leave the regulator inside the door. Manually lift the glass up into the loose felt channels while pulling the top of the glass toward the inside of the car. The glass should slide out of the top of the felt channels.

Loosen the bottom half of the old felt channel from the door channel. After it's loose, push down on the old felt channel to unhook the lower catch. pull the old felt channel toward the center of the door and remove the old felt channel. Clean out the door channel of any remnants of the old felt channel. Repeat for the other side.

Prep:
New hooks (catches) need to be installed on the new felt channels. If the old ones are still good, grind or cut the rivets holding the hooks to the old felt channel and remove. The lower catch should look like a Hammerhead shark's head. The upper is just a strip in the shape of a "J". Install the lower hook first and check the length of the channel. You may need to shorten the new felt channel but let the top of the channel extend up past the upper seal. The upper hook needs to be installed about 1/2" to 1" short of where the hook would engage the door slot as the new felt channel needs to be pulled to engage the hook. (Stretched slightly and remains in tension when installed.)

Install:
Engage the lower felt channel hook in the door channel. Leave the top unhooked and angled slightly toward the inside of the car. Repeat for the other side. Guide the glass into the tops of the felt channels and lower the glass into the door. With the glass at the bottom, pull up on the felt channel and engage the top hook. Repeat on the other side. Manually raise the glass and engage the lift-arm roller in the lower glass channel. Hold the glass in place while locating the regulator and reinstall the regulator. Install window garnish moldings.

Repeat as necessary for each door glass.

I think that about covers it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:02 am:

I will also soon be installing the glass in my 1926 Fordor.
The channels I removed along the edge of the door glass appear to be rubber with some elasticity. This would make it easy to stretch and hook both ends into the frame
However, the new channels I ordered from Macs appear to be very solid and do not stretch, even though I can bend them.
Do these new channels actually have some minor stretch. Otherwise, how do I install them so there is tension on the clips to hold the channel from falling out. Also the rubber mouldings ordered from Macs are too narrow to fit the mouldings along the top of the glass. Are there other good suppliers for this rubber and the rubber moulding along the windshield frame and rear side window rub rail at bottom
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Sportsman on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:45 am:

Garry,
On my 26 fordor For the door glass channels I riveted the clips to the top. I hooked them in and then pulled the channel down and secured it at the bottom with black window and glass channel adhesive, #8399A. I also found the top channel rubber listed for 26-27 too narrow and used the rubber for the 19-25 closed cars. I don't recall the P/Ns of the windshield rubber I used I picked from the profiles in Langs catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 08:27 pm:

The above instructions will work if you have the steel framed doors (25 - 27). The 24 model year should have wood framed doors and do not use the clips. I just took a quick look at my 24 Coupe and the window felt appears to be glued to the inside of the door.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 09:09 pm:

Garry - All the after market window channel I've seen is made from flat spiral wound metal or segmented, coated with rubber then flocked with a felt insert in the channel area. There's a couple of different sizes and styles with some having a stainless steel trim. All but the SS trimmed channel is stretchable. All this type of trimming is available from upholstery suppliers in 96" lengths. I've purchased a lot of it and the other types over the years.

On the wooden doors, I'd use tacks to hold the channel in place but I suppose a good contact glue would work. It still needs to be stretched slightly to keep the channel straight and the center from bunching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:56 pm:

Ken & Chuck
Thanks for the advice. My car is probably an early 26 and retained some of the 25 features. The doors are steel, not wood. I will try the top rubber for 25 doors.
I have the window channel felts but was not aware there was any stretchability to them. I suppose only a little stretch is necessary.
My next challenge is to find the rubber that fits into the slot on the inside face of the top and bottom windshield frames that are pressed against the window frame when closed. I do not know the part number.
For the rear side windows I am looking for the piece of rubber that fits into a slot on a metal bar that is screwed to the wooden piece at the bottom of the window hidden behind the upholstery. The purpose of this appears to be meant for stopping water from rolling down, but I am only guessing.
I can not identify these parts in the catalogs.
Sure was a lot easier restoring my 1927 Canadian sport touring than the challenges of a Fordor
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:17 pm:

"My next challenge is to find the rubber that fits into the slot on the inside face of the top and bottom windshield frames that are pressed against the window frame when closed. I do not know the part number."

I'm not following you here. Do you have a picture of frame?

"For the rear side windows I am looking for the piece of rubber that fits into a slot on a metal bar that is screwed to the wooden piece at the bottom of the window hidden behind the upholstery. The purpose of this appears to be meant for stopping water from rolling down, but I am only guessing."

Was this piece rubber, catwhisker or felt? Ford started using anti-rattle strips on the door frame where the glass comes up out of the door. It didn't really seal the door from water--It was to keep the glass from rattling and act as a dust seal. Again, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:39 pm:

Ken
I will take a picture and forward later this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 01:26 am:

Gary,

The 26 Fordor is basically the same car as the 24 - 25 Fordor. The main changes are to the firewall and cowl. Everything from there back is pretty much the same as the earlier cars.

The piece you are describing for the rear side windows sounds like the one that is used on the doors and quarter windows of the 24 coupe. I have not been able to find the replacement rubber, but the whole strip is the same as is used on the Model A Fordor. You can get it at Snyders:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/ModelAParts/ClosedCarDoorHandlesParts/4227?par tnumid=

It's called the Upper Door seal and it attaches to the inside of the door just under the window opening. When the window is raised, the metal strip on the bottom of the window contacts the rubber to seal the opening between the glass and door. The Model A version is somewhat longer and the holes are in a different location, but the size and shape is exactly the same.

The strips along the side of the windshield are also probably the same as the 24 Coupe. They are a U shaped strip of rubber that seals the opening between the upper windshield frame and the body. So far I have not found any replacement for these. I wasn't aware that the lower windshield frame had any rubber around it so can't help you there.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 08:45 am:

Dave
Thanks for the advice re using parts from the Model A.
My car did not have the upper door seal on any of the doors. I will check the doors to see how they attach
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:46 am:

Gary,

Here is a photo of the upper door seal. The one on the left is an original and the one on the right is the Model A replacement. Aside from the length and hole locations it is exactly the same. They mount just under the window opening with the rubber strip on the top pointing inward towards the outside of the window. There should be some half round cut outs in the sheet metal where the screws go.
On the wooden doors and probably the quarter windows on your Fordor they are held on with wood screws. I'm not sure how they are held on the steel doors. The steel door I have here has the half round cutouts where they would attach, but they are missing and there is no indication as to how they were mounted.

Upper Door Seal

Good Luck,
Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward P. Keller on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 07:11 pm:

Hey guys, thanks for responding to my thread. I've been so busy with Christmas preparations and family get togethers that I didn't get a chance to get into the conversation. I expect to get my new Slides tomorrow and will take on the job sometime this week. Thanks for the input, it helps. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 06:16 am:

Ken, this thread got me thinking, I really need to get the correct channels ordered for my 25 TT, but haven't found the part number anywhere. It's a factory closed cab. I assume they would have used a channel common to some of the other bodies, but don't know which ones. There is nothing there at all to go by. I can do it like a hot rod, and put in a universal, but rather do it correct. I figure since you are presently putting together one, you might know what I need to get.
thanks
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 06:39 am:

Guys. if I am following you correctly, the rubber seals at the sides of the upper half of the windsheild can be replaced with a peice of seal from a 22qt pressure cooker, found mine at our local ace hardware. I think you will find the profile to be as close as you will get. hope this helps Keith B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 07:16 am:

Keith, one of the greatest things this forum has to offer is information just like that. Now, who woulda thunk it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:00 am:

Ray, I can't take all the credit for this as one of the guys at langs put me onto this, they are great people to deal with. Keith B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:16 am:

They didn't post it for the rest of us to see though, Keith. You deserve the credit for sharing it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:38 am:

Ray as far as I know of fooling with TT's for 50 yrs, NO ONE makes the window channel for the bottom of the TT side glass!, I have a rough copy drawn up of one as I tried to get a local fellow to make some yrs ago, but he told me he didn't have time to do that, if It would help you I'll send you a copy, as I measured up the last one I had before selling it. ITs kind of like the vent handles!!, that no one is remaking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:16 pm:

Sure John, I'd like to see that. Since they are not visible when installed, I was going to fab something that would work fine and not worry about whether it was correct. The felts are another story. I'd like to use something like what would have been there originally.

The vent handle, I guess I should update you on that project. I can do it, but making the dies has not happened yet due to the fact that it is going to be quite tedious and these other, more simple, projects got my attention. I guess I should take Seth's advice to "underpromise and overproduce" but doggonit! There's so much I want to do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G.Goelz Knoxville,Tn on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

My 24 Fordor had a short metal channel that the felt fit into this piece is 6" long and was nailed to the door at the bottom to keep the felt channel in place,they were also on the 1/4 windows just above the stops.i will post a picture if anyone wants it.
Rick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration