Robe rail

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Robe rail
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:00 pm:

We are going to add a robe rail to our 1916 touring. Is there wood in back of the front seat to mount it to with wood screws or do you have to remove the front seat and mount with bolts and nuts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:27 pm:

Other than the top rail I don't believe there is any wood in the back of the front seat. Your best bet may be to use toggle or expanding bolts. This will save you from removing the upholstery. If you have the tool, there's also rivet nuts. These install just like a pop rivet except the tool uses a threaded anvil to set the nut. I got the tool and a selection of the pop-nuts at HF a few years ago and it works pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:32 pm:

Here's the link. They're $16.99 now. I think I paid over $20 for mine.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94100

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:41 pm:

Thanks for the info. I'll visit our local Farm & Fleet or NAPA store tomorrow for the rivet nuts. Of course I will have to look for brass bolts to screw into them. I'm getting this car ready for my son to use at the birthday celebration next July. I can not wait to see all the different T's that will be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:47 pm:

Here's the robe rail in my '15 touring.It's mounted into the sheet metal and in no wood.I had to go up behind the seat cushion to install it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:52 pm:

Darren, neat robe rail. I bought mine from Lang's. I wish I would have found one like yours, cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:19 am:

Thanks,I actually machined it myself copying an original one that is located just down the street from our house,mounted in a '13 touring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 02:28 pm:

Nice work, Darren! Care to share some dimensions? And how'd you get those nice radius bends in what looks to be 5/8" brass rod?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 03:35 pm:

Dennis-
I used "metal certs" to install my robe rail. They're threaded inserts that come with a small tool to insert them. Drill a small hole (size in the directions, bigger holes for bigger metal certs and therefore bigger brass screws. . . you need to buy the brass screws first in order to get the correct size certs). As you screw in the cert, they compress against the sheet metal. Remove the insertion screw/tool leaving the cert in the metal and you can now insert the brass screw in the "Threaded" hole. Just make sure your robe rail fits flush to the back of the seat before you mark the holes. I had to tweek mine a bit to get it flush with the sheet metal (makes a difference where your holes are!). Got my certs at Ace Hardware (a chain hardware store) in southern California, 6 certs and the insertion tool for about $8.00. If you need pictures, e-mail me.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 09:48 am:

Thanks Bruce!
I'll try to dig out my drawings I made with all the dimensions.The original one had the robe bar cast in one piece.I made mine in sections,soldered together.The ends,and the radiused bends are actually a much smaller diameter than the middle area just like the original.I bent the radiuses using a home made bender similar to ones used to bend copper tubing.If you anneal the brass before bending,it's quite easy to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 02:31 pm:

Thanks Darren! I've been itching to make something for the T in my machine shop. It's hard to justify the time for simple repair parts since the vendors have that covered so well and (for the most part) inexpensively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:05 pm:

Denna& Dennis,I have a nice brass one. The center section was brass over steel and the very thin brass,was in terrible shape. I took it out and replaced it with a piece of 1/2 copper pipe. When polished,it really looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 02:34 pm:

Bruce,
I haven't forgot about you.......I just can't seem to find where I put those drawings.If I have to make a new drawing(s) for you,can you read mechanical blueprints or are sketches,with photos and dimensions good enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 02:56 pm:

Darren - Please don't go to the extra effort of making new drawings. I'm happy being a "seat of the pants" machinist for something like this. Length overall, length of the rail legs, a couple of diameters, and height and width of the brackets would do fine. I can see how you milled the slots for the joints, but if you have any other detail photos, those would be appreciated too. Thanks... Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:25 pm:

Hi Bruce,
I FINALLY found my sketches on my robe rail.I'll can put some measuremtents together for you if you still need them.It won't be a lot of work.Please contact me,and I'll send some drawings to you through emails.
Please excuse my slow repsonse,I though I'd lost my drawings,and found them just recently again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:23 am:

While I was reupholstering my '14 I glued some wood in place for the Snyder type robe rack. There was no wood near enough to mount to.
Noel

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration