Battery box dimensions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Battery box dimensions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 05:12 pm:

I went out and removed my battery box from my 22 coupe which I cleaned up and took these measurements for those wanting to know the size of an original T battery box and how it was constructed.

It came apart in three pieces using just mechanical fastenings. It shouldn't be too hard to construct but if you know a heating and air conditioner guy that does duct work it's a 5 minute job. The Pittsburgh-type seam will probably be the only hard part in construction for a DIYer. The metal used was a .026 plain steel or 23 gage. The bottom is a rectangular piece 7-3/8"X 9-1/4". The 8 taps used to attach it the side panels are cut 1-1/2" in from each corner and are an 1/2" wide and 1/2" deep. The two 1/4" holes are 2-1/4" in on the long side and 3-3/8" in from the short with a 1/2" 45* cut off on all four corners.

The two pieces that make up the sides are 7-1/2"X 9-3/8" and 8"tall as outside measurements . The two full size pieces before bending would measure 8-1/2"X 17-1/2" figuring for the double and single seams at each end plus the 1/2" fold on the bottom. Sorry my measurements on the box didn't show up better.
battery box

battery box

battery box

battery boxbattery boxbattery box
I placed a modern replacement 6 volt battery in to check for fit and it does have enough room without having to make any changes. Now I just need to replace the bottom piece and powder coat the whole thing and it should be good to go again. Bob

battery box

Having these two pieces of equipment will come in handy and speed things up if you wanted to make one.
box and pan brake
squaring shear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Chennell on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 05:15 pm:

Bob,

Perfect! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 06:32 pm:

Bob: That is the same as the NOS one that I have. Now you know why I don't care to use it. There just aren't too many originals around. There are two styles of tops. I believe the top with the rounded edges is the later version. I don't know who made the ones with Ford on it, but I wish Ford Motor Company would sue them. Maybe it would knock some sense into them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration