Good Night Sleeper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Good Night Sleeper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Scheffler on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 06:20 pm:

After 23 years of owning my Model T I've always known I've had a special car. My car is a 1913 brass car with a Touring body style. The one feature on my car that I've always wondered about is my front seat. The back of the seat has hinges where the seat folds down into a bed. I recently was told by a friend in Middleborough, Mass that this was an 1916 add-on conversion kit called a "Good Night Sleeper" which turned my car into a camper. When I bought the car it came with an old set of side curtains with screening to keep the bugs out while camping. I don't have them anymore. My friend was able to send me some email pictures of the seat which he found somewhere but they are a little hard to view. I'd like to restore this feature some day but I need more information about it. My friend suggested asking for help on this forum. Does anyone have details they could send me? Also does anyone have any ideas how many Model T's today have this feature?
Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 06:47 pm:

Bill,
You might start with "The Model T Fordowner," by Murray Fahnestock, on page 422.
There is a chapter titled, "Comfort," and an article from 1923 about "Camping in Your Ford, Ways of Making Your Ford and Outdoor-Inn."
There are several examples of different sleeper/camper setups. One allows the front seat to fold backwards to make a double bed.
This picture also helped me to figure out how all the wood and sheet metal fit on my '20 touring.
Seats that fold down into beds and tents that fit to cars. There ain't nuthing new!
Hope this helps ya.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:16 pm:

My 1918 Touring had a fold down back on teh front seat.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:25 pm:

Here's a link to some pdf's that I have online. They are all about auto camping. I took them from my copy of the Popular Mechanics Auto Tourist's Handbook No. 1 printed in 1924.
On page 3, in the upper left corner is a picture of just what you are talking about.

http://retrocentric.brandywynewebdesign.com/AutoCamping.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:35 pm:

Bill,

As Joe pointed out the Model T Ford Owner [by Murray Fahnestock - available as a reprint from the vendors -- Lang's part # P9. You can also purchase originals – they were published back in the T-days.] It has several camper conversions. Shown below is the one you asked about the "Good Night Sleeper."

Apparently a similar conversion was offered by other companies also. Don Black on page 18 of the May-Jun 1983 shared an article about his recreation of an "Autobugaloafer." He had seen the camper conversion at Harrah’s Automobile Museum, and later had seen a similar conversion on a parts car a friend acquired. He copied the conversion and "cut the front seat" of his 1919 touring and wrote a nice article about it. It follows the same general principle of the "Good Night Sleeper."

Several folks enjoy camping with their Ts -- and that would be one option that would work well. Hopefully others will share about the similar camper conversions they either have of that they know of.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:53 pm:

I was wondering which end would be the head of the bed.Just what I want to do,sleep over my gas tank!
A beutiful night,I am laying in the T, Snore,snore,something goes Bzzzt,tank goes KA boom,Me wakeing up thinking I am dreaming that I am floating in space.Wonderfull!:>)

Honestly though,that is a neat setup,and I would think due to lack of money,a home built conversion is more common than the factory rigs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 02:08 am:

Bill,
Our 13 touring also has a Good Night Sleeper. It has the same brass latches as shown in Fig. 5 photos provided by Hap Tucker. I was supprised on how strong the body/front seat is after such a major modification/kit installation. Our car came out of an old building in San Diego in the late 40's. It was complete with subject item and still had the original leather interior until 10 yrs. ago when it came time for new leather. I also have a friend here in Fallbrook Ca. that has a 15 touring with a Sleeper style front seat but the latch mech. is hidden. The Sleeper front seat is often a point of interest to other model T folks when looking over our 13 touring. I don't think I would let my daughter date a guy if he showed up to pick her up in a car with a "Sleeper Front Seat"!! Smile, "Les"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 02:12 am:

Bill,
Our 13 touring also has a Good Night Sleeper. It has the same brass latches as shown in Fig. 5 photos provided by Hap Tucker. I was supprised on how strong the body/front seat is after such a major modification/kit installation. Our car came out of an old building in San Diego in the late 40's. It was complete with subject item and still had the original leather interior until 10 yrs. ago when it came time for new leather. I also have a friend here in Fallbrook Ca. that has a 15 touring with a Sleeper style front seat but the latch mech. is hidden. The Sleeper front seat is often a point of interest to other model T folks when looking over our 13 touring. I don't think I would let my daughter date a guy if he showed up to pick her up in a car with a "Sleeper Front Seat"!! Smile, "Les"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 07:26 am:

There is a '13 touring in the Twin Cities area with this or a similar option installed. When my grandfather and family decided to move back to Fridley, MN from Mission, TX in 1922, grandpa took the '17 down to the local Ford garage and a mechanic there did a homemade conversion along this line. The back of the front seat was held in the upright position with a pair of gate hooks according to my dad who was 12 at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Scheffler on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:06 pm:

I want to thank everyone for the Great Feedback. The pictures that Hep Tucker sent is my car. I will contact Lang and get a copy.
The friend that I talk about posted my car in his car club news letter. He sent me this link to his website if you'd like to see and hear my car. "http://modeltengine.com/CampingTArticle.htm"
Thanks again everyone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

I noticed that the ads for the sleepers had the same three automotive lies:
1. Easy to install
2. In a short time
3. By a child without special tools.

Yeah!

Joe R.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration