1913 Casting Dates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: 1913 Casting Dates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:24 pm:

I recently acquired a very nice original '13 roadster. What is interesting, is the serial number on this block indicates it is April 9, but the casting date is above the serial number like a '12, and is not legible. Kims '13 touring is late January or very early February and is the same way. To me, the block must have been cast in '12, and remained at the bottom of the pile. Does anyone else have a '13 with an early casting date, and a late serial number? My '13 touring which was made two weeks after Kims, has the casting date in the standard position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 01:16 pm:

I can't believe no one has responded to my post! This is a real sound Model T question. My February block in my touring has the casting date in the usual place just aft of the water inlet. I think I have seen casting dates in the same location in January, but maybe I haven't. I've looked in Bruces book, and I don't see much on casting dates, or their location. April seems a little late for the casting date to be above water inlet, but as I mentioned perhaps it had been at the bottom of the pile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:03 pm:

Don't know if this qualifies but my friend just bought a block with an Oct./13 Casting date and a 432XXX serial number, (i.e.1914).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:43 pm:

Rolls Royce at one time would leave engine blocks outside in the weather for years in order to stress relieve.casting date and serial number would be vastly different.
steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 07:36 pm:

Ford did this with the Flathead V8's as well.
No reason to think he didn't do it with the T and A blocks as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Noe on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 04:00 pm:

Larry You saw my 13 widetract in Estes Park couple of years ago. My cast date is at the back of the block to the right of the water neck.My body # is 199578 Motor # 214251 casting # is 1-24-13. If i remember right your touring and mine are real close in production. Good talking to you again. Mike

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration