Model T runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Model T runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike emerick on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:43 am:

Need information : description of wooden truck box (dimensions) that can be installed on a 1917 T in place of turtleback. Aso what type of lumber was used for the box and floor of turtle deck Thank You Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:43 am:

Here are pictures of a commercially built five foot box that was taken off a 1918 roadster (Sept. 1917 motor number). Note: it looks oily because I had just washed it prior to to taking the photos. I believe it is made almost entirely of poplar, although there may be some ash in it. I would have to look at it.

It has a unique, quick release bracket set-up for easy removal from the turtle deck.

I believe that most pick up boxes advertized typically came in five and six foot lengths.

I may be willing to part with it if the buyer picks it up in Minneapolis.

Erik Johnson

box 1box 2box 3box 4box 5box 6box 7box 8box 9

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Emerick on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:38 pm:

Erik, we might be interested in the box. Can you give us a price? Thanks for your help ,Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

Chuck "The Hammer" Martel and I learned that shipping a pickup box is no small thing. Cost to ship it direct was uneconomical, so it went from Santa Fe Springs to Surf City in our box van, then to Hershey via Texas T Parts in a trailer. From there it went to Hammer's brother in Mich. It will eventually get to Rockford, Ill.

Turns out I drove an empty Windstar direct from here to Rockford just a month later. Oh, well.

Martel is French for hammer. Charles Martel was a famous king of France in about 700 AD. Rather than a surname back then, I think it was a description he earned. It's amazing what you learn on the History Chnl.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 06:48 pm:

Mike:

What is your email address? I'll send you a reply directly.

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank olsen on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 08:48 pm:

The reciepe for how to build one was posted in one of the earlier Vintage Ford Magazines. That is what I used to build this one. If your interested I will find the article.

Frank

image{tbed}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 09:04 pm:

I would love to pick it up in Minneapolis since I will coming there the first warm day. My son wants a pickup for his 1916 roadster in place of the turtle deck so I am sure interested in it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 09:33 pm:

Yea that is a sweet bed,and I know it would fit my project as well.the orignal bed I bought is for the 26-7 and is to wide.dang it.

That bed I feel like should just have some satin clear coat of some sort sprayed over the remaining finish to preserve the lettering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 09:36 pm:

My son has a really cut and mostly original 1916 Roadster and that has the perfect patina to go with his car. I sure hope I get a crack at it for him since I really owe him a bunch. He has helped me change over so much computer stuff this year and works on it way late in the evening and I just stand there useless watching him. This would let me pay him back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 11:00 pm:

I might add that the bed I posted is no longer!!! I got broadsided last summer and it is now kindling wood. It was built with Juniper wood. The replacement is Cherry. I hope to have it back running in a week or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 09:24 am:

The (well traveled) Pickup box Ricks speaks of is currently in my garage. I have started to get it ready to restore, I only have until July to get it on, or the dog and I will not be on speaking terms (again) after the Centenial.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Emerick on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 03:11 pm:

Erik, are all turtle deck frames the same dimensions? If so this will fit our 1917. My email is mberberich@state.pa.us Thanks for your help ,Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Emerick on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 03:13 pm:

Frank, we would appriciate the info . Thank You Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:59 am:

Ok, I finally found the article. It is in the march - April 1978 issue pg 33. That is volume 14 number 2. I don't have a flat bed scanner, but I could probably find one if that would help.

Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Marthedal on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 04:14 pm:

Thanks, Frank, I found the magazine and the article. All your information was correct except the year is 1979 for those who want to search by the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 09:08 pm:

Yes, I thought they republished the article. I have the old one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Nordstrom on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:06 pm:

Frank, Since I have only been a member of this club for 4 years..how could I get a copy of the article? I don't have the magazines from 1979

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Marthedal on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 02:24 am:

Dan, if you still need a copy of the article, let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Nordstrom on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 03:51 pm:

Thank you Neil, Yes, I still need a copy of the article. my email is: dannord4@comcast.net.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Nordstrom on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 03:52 pm:

Neil, Any idea when you may be able to get a copy of this article? No rush I am just wondering. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:02 pm:

Dan,

I sent a copy of the article as a Microsoft word document to you. If anyone else would like a copy just let me know. The Model T Ford Club of America allows us to share articles such as that to promote our club and our hobby.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:22 pm:

FYI,

There are some good photos of Jim Cook's cut off "Oh Henry" at: http://www.geocities.com/jncsnc/modelt1.html that may help you visualize one common method of doing a cut off. Also, just some nice pictures of his very early 1916 that has been in his family since new.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout (they made those into cut offs/pickups also -- but the T was much easier to get parts for).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration