Neopream rear end seals on 1919 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Neopream rear end seals on 1919 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Anderson on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 07:40 pm:

Getting ready to take care of that leaking rear end on drivers side it leaks on to the wood spokes .Now when i get the bearing sleeve out is there a felt gasket that i'll have to remove before i can install the neopream seal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie in Houston on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 08:06 pm:

Tim, I don't know what most people do, but I clean that edge where the sleeve would bottom out at with a degreaser and put a small bead of silicone on this edge and after cleaning the sleeve, I shove it back in with the silicone still wet. That seals the seal to the housing.
The sleeve sticks out of the housing a slight bit (the thickness of the seal).
The dust cover has a felt seal in it and there is usually enough space to just leave it in place. If the car has been run with the wheel loose on the axle, you may find that the wheel will hit the dust cover with it sticking out that slight bit more. An axle shim could be used to bring it back out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 08:17 pm:

Inside the houseing,behind the sleeve there will be a old seal,how you git it out with the axle still in there,I dont know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:12 am:

I know I'm a jerk for writing this, but it's "neopreNe". Just a peave of mine, please forgive me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:38 pm:

Tim -- There will be some sort of seal (felt, leather, or something else) on the inside of the sleeve. You must get it out, but I don't know how to do that without separating the housings. After you install the new neoprene seal in its place, the sleeve should end up flush with the housing, not extending past it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By timothy anderson on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 02:59 pm:

So can it be done,can the old seals be removed?has anybody had success removing the seals with the axels in place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 03:22 pm:

Tim,if you encounter an old felt seal,you could always drive it further in on the axle as it won't hurt anything. If you find the later leather/steel washer seal,it will have to come out. I ust a stiff hook to remove those kind of things. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 06:13 pm:

Tim,
If you want a more permanent solution to the problem, call John Stotlz and get a set of "type 1" bearings from him. www.modeltranch.com page 7 in his online catalog. I've used many of these, no leaks. There is an easy trick to putting them in, I'll let him tell you about it.

If you want to remove the old seals, you can make a very stiff hook (or two) and fish them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Joyce on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 05:36 pm:

Jerry, that's spelled "peeve". Couldn't resist. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 05:02 pm:

John, that's hilarious!!! Thanks for pointing that out.

(By the way, I looked in the dictionary to double check the spelling of "hilarious")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 06:05 pm:

Even though I prefer correct spelling, "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe." Comment on this report can be found at http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 08:31 pm:

David,it is nice to be able to read a intire paragraph on here now.Thanks! :>)
Honestly,it is funny how when I got that in a email a couple weeks ago I literally didnt miss a beat reading thru it and didnt relize the point till I looked back over it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration