1913 Runabout Colors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: 1913 Runabout Colors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Harlamoff on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:55 pm:

Hello Everyone,
This is my first time on the forum. I have just bought a two owner 1913 Runabout with original wood, upholstery, correct engine and chassis pieces, lamps etc. The head gasket was blown, there was some grief in the crankcase and the tires were wearing strange. They painted over grease and original Arizona mud on the chassis. The springs had been broken and repaired etc, so I am restoring the engine and chassis at this point and may repaint the body the original dark blue. (it's black now) As long as I am at it, I would rather restore the car correctly as not it is the same amount of work. This is a mid April of 1913 car. I tend to get a bit carried away, however can anyone offer up advice on the following:
1) Color of the bronze fan hub? Bare or painted?
2) Hood latch sills. I assume that these are painted body color?
3) Hood. I assume that this is body color as well?
4) Door Jams: Body color or black?
5) Steering wheel nut: polished brass or painted?
6) Metal strips across top of door, body etc. Body color?
7) Deck lid handles: Body color?
8) Backgrounds of lettering in the hubcaps. They look black in photos.
9) The fan was replaced with one from a 1917. I found a bronze one. Should this car have a brass grease cup on the fan hub?

I am really thrilled to own this great car. I have always wanted an early runabout. Your help is appreciated.
Best regards,
Brian in Santa Cruz CA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dave willis on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 02:00 am:

a couple of quick observations....steering wheel rim should be painted black ..the horn should be painted black [except the rim and screen ]..and the horn should be mounted with the bell on the bottom...i don't really think anyone bothered to paint the hubcap relief...like my '14, when in doubt, paint it black.

really neat car!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 02:54 am:

http://www.modelt.ca/13T-fs.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 07:54 am:

The fan wasn't painted. There's an original '14 touring belonging to a club member in this area, very low mileage. When the engine compartment was cleaned up the fan was just nice shiny steel riveted to the brass hub.

Most amazing part of the story on this car is that the owner was given the car by a friend. No money changed hands. He also was given a very nice original '27 Fordor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By warren rollins on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 09:51 am:

A great looking 13 roadster. I have really enjoyed mine. The answers to your questions as my research went:
1-bare,2-black,3-midnight blue(Iused 1980 Volvo color which is near black 4-midnight blue;5-polished brass.6-black.7-midnight blue,8-plain,9-probably both.
My dash color is mini wax cherry which is wrong.
It is a redder color . A gunstock cherry is closer and looks better. I have that info somewhere
I will be happy to answer any detail questions you might have. You may contact me at warrenfrollins@tds.net.
I know you will enjoy that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 01:27 pm:

The hubcap backgrounds were "oxidized" on the typical '13 caps. I imagine it would be a blue-black color rather like the K-W coil tops on a later '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By s on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 08:55 pm:

.http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/ford/ford-model-t.html
Ford Model T - 1908 to 1927

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Daniello on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:27 am:

I am currently "correcting" an older restored '13 roadster. Does anyone have detailed photographs/dimensions of the back. I need to replicate the body molding and the platform that holds the turtle deck (and with any luck find one of those square cornered turtle decks).

Thanks in advance for any help,
Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:47 am:

Brian,

That is a nice looking '13 roadster. Be sure you put the horn on right side up when you restore the car. The horn is upside down now.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Harlamoff on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 04:49 am:

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. The Bruce McCalley book lists the blue color for the body as 81501A for Dupont. It turns out that this is a fleet color and it is readily available. The guy who sold me the paint looked at me kind of funny as to why anyone would want such a dark color. I think it will look good on the wheels with a light gray stripe though. The black paint on the body is so nice I may just leave it alone. I do have other projects and women to chase etc.
Robert: I was under the impression that Rootlieb was making 13 runabout bodies. Do they not make the turtle deck? I have the body off of the chassis at this point. I can take lots of photos of this car for you including the underside. The rear platform on this car is definitely original including the wood. I am not sure about the turtle deck it might be a reproduction although it is hard to tell. For sure this car was restored in 1958 and the original owner replaced the fenders at that time. I was told that the fenders were made in LA by a guy who later sold out (?) to Rootlieb. Supposedly the metal his fenders was heavier that what Rootlieb is using today. This guy may have made the turtle deck too.
Brian

PS: I will turn the horn over!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 07:15 pm:

Brian
Could you send me some detailed pictures of your car. need pictures of the deck area also. I have a lot of pictures of a very early 1914 original roadster that has parts on it from 1913. This roadster has all original parts on it. Thanks Leon
ford1914@bellsouth.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Daniello on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:19 pm:

Brian,

I would like to see any photos you may have. Mine was converted to a pick-up (roughly) so I need to rebuild that whole section. I called Rootlieb when I got the car last spring and they informed me they were not making that body anymore. I don't know if that is still the case.

My car is a late '13 that has running gear typical of a '14 with the exception of the engine which has pipe plugs on s/n 309,xxx. It has the first style 1 piece driveshaft and '14 typical frame. It even has 1 piece radius rods which may have been replaced at some point. There were forged end rods with the car but they were too far gone to have come from the same chassis (and too much work to restore). The 1 piece rods seem to be in the same condition as the rest of the car so ? The body, windshield and DB steering parts are typical '13. Does anyone know about the other subcontractor's part markings and when they were used?

Robert
rdaniello(replacewithat)gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:37 pm:

Robert -- Howell's Sheet Metal in Texas makes the metal covers for the sides and back of the turtle platform. They're made of sheet steel and just slip over the wood platform. (I suppose they were then secured with tacks originally.) You can get the info on the wood dimensions from a set of wood plans for the car's body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Harlamoff on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 01:11 pm:

Hello everyone,
I will need about a week to get the photos together. I will need to collect some friends to pick up the body so I can photograph the underside. It will take some time to remove the turtle deck for more photos of the platform as well. Looks like I will paint the body blue, so removing turtle deck is not a problem.
Regards to all,
Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 02:31 pm:

Brian,

Did you happen to look under the front seat to see if there is a body number stamped into the wood? This will be the area that supports the seat springs, just forward of the door that covers the gas tank. Our friend Hap Tucker (who has a 1915 Model T touring cut off and made into a pickup) is collecting these numbers and the engine serial numbers to see if there is a trend that will yield useful information. A sort of registry of a kind.

Here's my 1913 touring.

Thanks,
Royce

13 tour

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 07:46 pm:

Brian: That Cadillac color in Bruces book is real nice. I have a friend with a '12 Cadillac that is painted that color, and it's really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 08:45 am:

FWIW, my brother's '13 touring has its serial number stamped into the bottom edge of the curve on both rear doors. It's a Beaudette body, with the uppercase "B" embossed in the rear heel panel (but not the front). The body has many early features but the original engine has a late April cast date.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration