They Have to Earn Their Keep

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: They Have to Earn Their Keep
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 04:08 am:

Bought a new washer and dryer today. They couldn't believe it when I picked them up in the old truck!Martin Parry Express Truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:58 am:

Jeff, Ive got to see more of that truck! Man! that's a good-lookin truck. More pics!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:14 am:

Lookin' good, Jeff. Seems like you've bought a T every year you've been President of the Long Beach Club; is that 3 now, or 4?

When people at stores comment on the ol' brass picup, I just say, "It's about as new as I can afford, when I shop here."

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:30 am:

Jeff. Show a pic of the door. What is the door signage? Thanks. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:19 am:

Dang it Rick,I about fell out of the chair after reading that!
That is a sharp truck Jeff and I would also like to see more photos of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:06 pm:

It's a progressive, and agressive disease Ralph! When the "T" bug bites, you live with the sting!

I like any old car, but I really liked cars of the fifties and sixties, and hot rods. I never even considered a stock T. Now I have 3, plus a lot of parts, and I am President 3 years!

Luckily, it's not a painful disease, at least not for me. I think my wife is the one who feels the pain of this sickness.

I'll look up some more pics and post them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 01:35 pm:

If I had that T, I'd mount a couple of old surfboards on the top, and a sign, "Love My Woody."

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 02:15 pm:

Dave, the sign on the door is a magnetic logo of The Long Beach Model T Club. It must be shy, because it never seems to be readable in any of the pics.

The body is a Martin Parry Express Body of around '22 to '25 vintage. There is a Martin Parry 1926 catalog available on the MTFCA site which shows changes made in 1926 that are not present on this body. It is surprisingly complete, with all of the little brackets and hardware that would be impossible to find. The only things missing seem to be the door latches, which are double acting. The doors are on rollers and slide forward, and the latches would latch the door open, or closed. As you can see in the pics, there is not much paint left, but it has never been repainted, and the Martin Parry Decals can be seen on the doors and seat riser, as well as a decal above thw windshield warning to keep all nuts drawn up tight. Also notice the M/P door sill plates, and the forged brackets and tailgate chain hooks. There are very faint remnants of some lettering, and what looks like a flower, on both the outside and inside of the cab, and there are stenciled part numbers on the cab inside pieces.

The guy that I got it from found the body on T-bay a few years ago, and put it on a chassis that he had, with various bits and pieces. It's roughly '23 or '24, and so is the body, so now it's officially a '24. He had a brass radiator, so that is what it got, and that is why there is no hood, since the firewall and radiator don't match. I like the "make do with whatever you have" look. The rest of the parts match the body, and the radiator and purple lights give it character. It looks like it has actually worked and survived for the past 84 years. In searching the web, I have only found 2 other trucks like this one, one in Germany, and one in Virginia, and they are both restored, and painted, and I don't think that they have "the look" that this one has. I would like to find some door latches, and maybe rear fenders, but I kind of like it with no hood or splash aprons.

If anyone has any information on these Martin Parry bodies other that the 1926 catalog, or any detailed pics of the seats, doors, or latches, or parts, I would be interested. (just don't violate any forum rules) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 02:24 pm:

I didn't mean to post those all as thumbnails, but I guess it's better so I don't use up too much space.

That last picture is at the Wings, Wheels, Rotors, and Expo, held at the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base in October. There was about 800 cars, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, (military and antique) and helicopters on display, including a C17 that was open for tours.

I am parked between the world famous "Widow Maker" and the equally famous "Lucky 7" owned by "Humble Howard" Genrich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 04:58 pm:

It has that genuine "poor but honest" look.
I'd cobble up some kind of hood top and a couple rear fenders and call it DONE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim kirkpatrick on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 05:02 pm:

Super truck Jeff I'd drive it just the way it is. Thats what I'm doing with my 26 tudor. I've restored it mechanically but the body and interior will have to wait until I retire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 07:29 pm:

You mentioned "the look" and buddy, that truck drips with it. Great truck, and I really appreciate the fact that the original finish (or lack thereof) has been left alone. You should be more proud of that than any of the finest restored T's money can buy. Thanks for the pics
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 07:40 pm:

Looks like you must have gone to Mexico to pick up the washer and dryer. I don't understand what they say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 07:57 pm:

I bet they fell out of the back of a container at the Port of Long Beach...

Just kidding, Jeff, but that's the only way you could beat my price of $73 for a new (dented) washer at Louseys.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:24 pm:

You know,I get a similar response when I use my 66 pickup for hauling.they look at me like I am nuts.What the heck did Ford build them for if it werent for hauling? Duh.
Btw,thanks for posting the other photos.That is a neat truck .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:58 pm:

I have a truck very much like that but I think its a 26. I will try to get a shot of the door latches for you in the next day or two.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:42 pm:

Nice truck!! Is that metal skinned? My Hack is a martin-parry, but without the doors. Do the rear brackets at the corners of the bed look like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:56 am:

Bob, one of the differences between this one and a '26, at least according to the catalog on the MTFCA site, is the heavy wood framing around the windshield glass. A '26 has much thinner framing, blocking less vision. Any pics of the inside showing the doors and seat would be great. My truck doesn't have any glass or inside panels on the doors, so I'm not sure how they should be, and there is no seat other than the riser and framing over the gas tank.

Erik, the sides of the cab are wood framed and metal skinned, but the back of the cab and part of the front are wood beadboard. The bed braces and corners are like yours, and there are M/P door sill plates too.

Here are some pics of the decals over the windshield, the part number stenciling, the door sills, and the tailgate chains and bed braces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 01:03 am:

I have those sill plates too, they just aren't installed in the car. I can't make out the patent numbers. Could you tell me what they are? I'd like to do a patent search on them..... that might provide some more detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 01:21 am:

As you can see, there isn't much left of the numbers. I'm keeping the truck at another place right now, but I'll go by and see if I can make out the numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:26 pm:

Here are the pictures of the one I have. I don't know if this is a M/P body or not but the doors do slide open and latch open and closed with the same handle. You can see the outside handle on the door and the one I took off for the pictures is the inside that does all the latching for both open and closed. I also had a shot of the inside from the time I did a test build of the body just to see how much I had of it but now it is back to a pile of wood in the corner of the barn. I might be able to get more pictures of some parts if you think it will help but it may be hard to find the part you want a shot of. Just ask and maybe if I can't get it someone else will have one for you.

Nice truck, wish mine was that good to start with.

By the way, my doors are very thin and the metal skin you see on the outside is also the inside skin and my door glass does not move. I also don't have the top on this in the picture but it does have a roof over the bed and the overhang for the front is not on it at the time of the picture.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:32 am:

Bob, I'm certainly not an expert on these, as I've only had this one a few months, but I don't think yours is a Martin Parry, Your doors appear to slide to the rear to open, whereas mine slide forward. The windshield on my truck is divided into four panes of glass, and even though the '26 M/P windshield had thinner dividers, it was still four panes, where yours is two. My doors have holes through them indicating that the outside handle would turn the inside latch mechanism. There were lots of body companies.

Your's appears to be a '26, at least the fenders look like '26, and I like the way the rear fenders look on it. I need to find some rear fenders for mine. It looks too skinny without them.

Thanks for the handle pics. they are different, but it gives me some ideas for a temporary handle.I found some double acting latches that are like what I thing belong on there, however they are way too small to fit the original holes. I also need to come up with some kind of mirrors. I really hate to put holes in doors that have survived 85 years without any holes in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 01:14 pm:

Bob,

I have those same exact latches on my cab. I wish I knew the manufacturer. My doors slide to the rear to open and latch in the open or closed position with the same latch. However, my doors have two metal panels, as does the rear side section of the cab that the door slides over when open. My windshield frames are metal and are of equal size rather than one larger than the other.

I don't know that the latch type would narrow down the manufacturer to one or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware was purchased from a vendor and could therefore be common to more than one body manufacturer. I wish I knew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:29 pm:

I didn't think this was a M/P body from the pictures I have seen but the doors made me think maybe it could be one I had not seen a picture of. The truck was in a pile on a trailer at an auction down the road from my house and the owner had bought it in 1978 the same way. He had a 1926 title and the engine that came with it had 26 numbers on it. The fenders were with it but who knows if they are the right ones or not. When the sale was over he let me hook up to his trailer and haul it home and I set it up as I took the parts off the pile and then took his trailer back. He stopped by later to see it and said he had never seen it together in all those years.

Now I would like to know who built it. Most of the wood is here and the rest can be made so my plan is to copy it and use the hardware to build a new body for it. Should be a cool little truck when its done someday......

Hope I get to live that long!
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:07 am:

Erik, I took another look at those patent numbers and they are 1472607, and 1472128, both dated Oct. 30, 1923. you got me to thinking, and I searched Google Patents for the numbers and found them. They are for body panel construction on van type bodies, and were granted to Martin Parry. Then I searched for any patents for M/P and found several extending all the way into the 1950's. Some interesting ones from the 20's were 1537649 for windshield hinges,1593441 for spare tire carrier reinforcement, and 1669227 for the double acting door latch that I need. Anyone have a pair of these hanging on the shop wall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:24 pm:

Jeff, Thanks for taking the time to get those numbers. I don't have any doors on my hack, so no hinges. I've been thinking of building a set for winter use, maybe with some kind of quick release hinge so I could just lift the door up and off the pin for warm weather driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth Chaffin on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:13 pm:

Mine look very similar to the previous post. Now I know who made them (MP). Thanks
1921 1
1921 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 07:43 pm:

Eric,

The 25/27 TT doors held on with loose pin hinges. Push out the pins and the door is off. One person can do it easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 06:25 am:

A frend sent me these, they were taken in 78. We look like a bunch of bank robers,but we were hunting Blue quail, me behind the wheel. That was the first time the car had had a workout sence I left for school in 67. I put the car together from parts found in the gullys of West TX. Still have the little car in about the same shape.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration