What to do

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: What to do
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy D Nelli on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:28 am:

i have a 15 roadster w/a real nice paint job. i was wondering what you guys do to keep the paint from chipping off on the rivets, when you fold the hood back on itself. guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:23 am:

Lay a rag or towel there. It only takes a few seconds; carry shop rags in your tool box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy D Nelli on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 02:33 pm:

thanks mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 04:42 pm:

Simple, don't fold the hood back on itself. It's not only hard on the paint, it also bends the center hinge ears over time, (mostly on later style hoods).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 09:45 pm:

Jerry -- You shouldn't fold the later hoods all the way over, as you said. But with the early ones you don't have much choice. They won't stay "up" like the later ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:38 am:

On a related note, my '14's hood cannot be opened on the driver's side without its bottom edge striking the Rubes dash-mounted horn. It appears that I can move the horn outboard about 1/2" max. Can someone with an original setup post the minimum clearance that your car's hood has to the horn? In other words, when you raise the hood slowly, what is the measurement when the hood edge is at the point where it's closest to the horn? Id like as many different cars' measurements as I can get. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Jeffers on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 03:09 pm:

R.V. I can't give you a measurement.
My hood did not hit the horn before the horn broke off the mounting bracket. After I resoldered it back on I must have gotten it off a little because now it hits if I am not careful.
Can you tell if it has been repaired and maybe gotten off just a little?
Maybe you can do it so it won't hit.
Just an idea.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 03:18 pm:

RV,

The horn tube should go through the firewall at very near the floorboard level. The hole is almost directly below the lower mounting hole for the cowl lamp bracket regardless of whether you have the integral cowl lamp bracket or seperate bracket.

Royce

g

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 03:28 pm:

Royce, you are correct; the dash was made by John Regan from Ford drawings so I know it's not the problem. I'm suspecting the horn for that reason. The reed end of the horn is almost touching the inboard "side" of the hole in the dash, so I think I can move it out about 1/2". The other potential problem is that the hood support is off-centered towards the left. I measured this and it IS off, but only about 3/32". I am wondering if the horn is "wider" than most. I have purchased another one which, from its photo, is narrower than the Rubes (it's a Standard), so that might give additional clearance.

I suspect that, at best, care is and was necessary when opening the left side of the hood, to avoid smacking the horn. Which in turn makes me wish I could examine several dozen or so unrestored horns to see if they all have a certain-shaped dent in a certain place...

Also, in one of the magazines, an original '14 was detailed; its description notes the horn's mounting to be very crooked. Maybe Ford was deliberately doing them that way to assist with the problem.

Thanks for your responses. If I could get some measurements that'd be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fultz on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 06:22 pm:

I use a small clamp on the radiator shell. Don't remember where I got it. Oh and a piece of tubing goes ove the chipped paint at shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:00 am:

I think you may be right RV, there could be something odd about that particular horn. I have several and they vary quite a bit.

Here's another picture :

13 firewall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:21 pm:

Thanks again, Royce. My car looks just like yours. I ought to print your photo and take one of mine for comparison.

If the horn was mounted bell up, it would give additional clearance betwen horn and hood. I wonder if that's why some were re-mounted "incorrectly" by their early owners.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration