Chicago Brakes.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Chicago Brakes.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Byron on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:03 pm:

Heard about Chicago brakes, but know nothing about them. Can anyone fill me in.chicago brakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:23 pm:

I don't know anything about them, but they appear to be installed upside down.

As installed as shown, they will be self energizing in reverse, but not forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:46 pm:

Looks very much like my Rocky Mountain brake except it's upside down. Maybe it was installed to stop the car from rolling backward if the car stalled going uphill and the brake failed?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:51 pm:

Those are A-C brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:27 am:

I have at least a part of a set of those. I'd like to see more pictures if you have them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Byron on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 07:16 pm:

jack daron-Indy
Tried to get some shots that would make some since. Not much good at this computer stuff. The forum says it will only take 100K pictures. Time I get them this low you can hardly make out what they are. I must be missing something.brakesbrakesbrakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

Wonder if they are made by the same company that made my over and under transmission. A Chicago mark E. Its old, but a quality unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 08:17 pm:

Very good. Thank you .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 08:55 pm:

That is an AC brake. You can see the AC upside down at the bottom of the bracket. Mike has good eyes! I have AC brakes on one of my T's and they look just like the Rockies that are available from the Rocky Mountain Brake company. Your brakes are installed upside down. The way to correct that is to swap from one side to the other and then you will have self energizing in the forward direction. They are a very good brake.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 09:17 pm:

Just purchased a set of "Bonar" accessorie brakes off the classifieds (thx Tony). Look a lot like the Bennet style). Anyone know the history on these (who made them, strengths/weaknesses)?
Regards,
Scott Rosenthal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:58 am:

Byron's T might have two reverse and one forward speed too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:59 am:

The Bonars used to make a RM or Bennet-style brake set back in the '70s for Model Ts. I believe they lived in Florida and were active members but I think they have passed on. Mr. Bonar also made some sort of insert bearings for the mains but I don't know how popular these were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:47 pm:

Many Thanks Warren.
Best Regards,
Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration