Couple minor questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Couple minor questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:18 pm:

I had to remove rusted out freeze plugs from the block I have been working on cleaning up the past couple days.I was wondering if there was some advantage to the buffalo nickle replacements other than conversation and never being broke on your journy.My little "pickup" project has the nickles in it.

The piston rings in this 26 engine I am working on now have a staggerd edge.In other words overlapping.I was wondering if when I try to measure ring gap if I just measured the area I can get the gauge in and call it done?

I know new rings can be had.But I remember hearing about expanders being used behind the old rings with great success.But I never see expanders listed in the catalogs,where would I find them now?

I was also wondering,if a transmission drum has light surface rust on it,if cleaned up,would it be useable?I relize pitting to any degree wouldnt be good.I have a transmission that was exsposed for a long time before I got it.Looks to be complete,and the drums are smooth but have that rust coating that bothers me.

Back in 05 I had a head gasket blow on my TT truck.I replaced the gasket,and put new headbolts on.When I assembled the engine in my little pickup project a few months ago I used new headbolts.I had read that over the years they can stretch.I know the headbolts aint that pricey,but aint there a lenght I can measure for on the old 1's to see if they are any good?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:46 pm:

Mack,

Couple of answers for what they are worth.

I've used nickels and they can work. You have to dome them so they will expand when you seat them. You may also buy brass ones that don't rust and are already domed to go in your block.

Because of the potential for stretch, many people recommend cleaning out your block with a bottoming tap, and blowing out the chips. Then run the bolts in without a head gasket. If any bolts are loose, measure how much and file them shorter until all bolts are snug. Then make all bolts the same length.

Tom
Piquette Ts
Detroit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:05 am:

You can use the electrolysis method to remove rust. Unlike acid dips, it takes a while but stops at the rust and no iron base metal is lost. After washing/brushing off all the black goo, just spin them and apply sandpaper in lessening grit until they shine.

See the post about fasteners. Hap posted an excerpt that gives the head bolt lengths. The difference is size change from 3/8 to 7/16 then from the low head to the high head. Then another for the nickel plated bolts of 26/27. I'm not trying to say anything but I'd have to be really hard pressed to use 80+ year old head bolts in a car I was going to keep and run. The old bolts will break at the last thread as shown in another recent post.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration