Changing Bands with Detachable Ear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Changing Bands with Detachable Ear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 01:45 pm:

Anyone here have a lot of experience making this change with the new design bands?

The book indicates when putting the new bands in that you first put the reverse band in, then the brake band and then the low speed band.

I am working on my 26 Tudor and can get the reverse and the brake bands in but then seem to run out room and ways to position the low band going in so I can get the detachable ear back on and the band positioned correctly.

Any advice for this novice at this?

Thanks

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 02:32 pm:

I believe it was one of the service bullitens that showed how to bend the end of a screwdriver over and make a hook for this job. I have one made fron a piece of 3/8 round stock,flattened and ground like a screwdriver tip. it is about 10 inches long and serves the purpose very well. Mine has a loop handle on the other end. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 04:11 pm:

Jack, Thanks

I did see that and had a similar tool. I also have one of those flexible pull handle things.

Both work to get the band pulled around but the issue is running out of room to position the band to get the ear back on and in place.

I went back at it today and ignored the book and put the reverse band on, then the slow speed band and then the brake band. They are now on and seem to be working fine.

I had tried this same sequence over the weekend and still had problems.

I have concluded that this has to be a Monday job. Cant be done on Friday, Saturday or Sunday apparently. They went in fine today and only took about 30 minutes to button things up again.

Thanks for the help.

I would like to hear if anyone has been succesful in putting them in using the book order and how they made it work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Seager on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 05:02 pm:

Tom. I do the brake band first the slow speed band second and the reverse band last. I tie a piece of safety wire on the end that does not have removable ear so that you can let it slide down in the case and then after I put the ear on i can just pull it back out. That way you can pull the band out far enough to get the ear on easily. Mike

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration