AHOOGA HORNS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: AHOOGA HORNS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Seal on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:47 pm:

A friend of mine sent me something off the web he seen yesterday. It may be useful to someone out there. This gentlemen sells and repairs Ahooge horns. He's down in Mississippi somewhere. His email address is seaweed1996@yahoo.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By janise on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 02:52 pm:

So who will be the first to send a horn to someone with an untraceable "Yahoo" email address?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 03:49 pm:

janise,

Look before you judge. I have found several good leads for various needs via second hand hear-say passed on by well meaning strangers. Like anything we do, check it out first. An email address does not a bad person make. How many good, small, T parts and product makers have aol or hotmail or yahoo or gmail or ... addresses? A lot!

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 09:37 pm:

Shoot,I have had my Hotmail addy since sometime in 99.Handy for forumn use and such.
Ahoogo horns werent used till the model A.
Even saying that,there is a hooga horn in the basement my dad got from a fellow when he was about 12 years old,still works.I ask about putting it on my T and he said git and use it.So when I get further along on the project I will bolt it on.
Aint right for the T but it is a family item that will get used and enjoyed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:03 pm:

I don't know. I'd have to agree with "janise". Seems odd that someone with a business or service would want to hide their identity behind an anonymous email ID. I just looked up the ID on Yahoo and it's restricted.

Shoot, I plaster mine all over the place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 08:28 am:

Hi Mack. Although an aooga horn is improper for the Model T, it is the horn most folks who do not know, associate with all cars from the Model T and depression era cars and is what they expect to hear when the car passes by as they wave, so for them, I have a 6V Klaxon aooga horn on my 1926 Coupe that was on it when I first bought the car, and for authenticity minded purists, I have the proper, authentic 6V goose horn, but I must admit, I like the Klaxon horn much more and thus, honk it alot more than the goose horn because it sounds like what the voice of a Model T should sound like. Take care and enjoy that aooga horn. Everyone else will. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:20 am:

I must disagree totally about the e-mail, and mistrust thing. It doesn't sound to me like this guy repairing aooogaa horns is trying to run a business as such. He is a hobbiest just like the rest of us who supplements his income a little with what he enjoys. I know I wouldn't go to a great deal of expence paying for a fancy web site, 800 phone number, and credit card excepting account just to prove to somebody I existed so I could pick up 10 repair jobs a year for some spare change.

I would however let people know my services were available, and here is my e-mail address if you would like to contact me. Just that simple...not a huge conspiricy to collect all the aoooga horns in the country and hord them for later sale on T-bay.

Just my opinion.....

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston, Broken Arrow, OK on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:56 am:

Ahooga Horns are very proper for the Model T Ford. They were a very common after market item. I have them on all my Model T Fords, even a Klaxon "Combine" on my 18 Roof Speedster. The "Combine" has two sounds, one similar to a fog horn and the other the familar ahooga. It's a beautiful horn with lots of brass. Folks who don't use those wonderful Model T Ford accessories are missing the "real" Model T world.
It's pretty obvious that few Model T's had no accessories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:22 am:

I agree with Fred, the Motor Horn was the normal horn during the teens & twenties either standard or aftermarket & Klaxon did a lot of magazine advertising, one even showing William Howard Taft's Presidential Pierce with a running board mounted Klaxon. Ford probably used the vibrator horn to, once again, save royalties. I've also seen a lot of original early teen cars with the bulb horn in tact & a Klaxon on the runningboard or under the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By EDWARD R LEVY on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:32 am:

Fred hit it on the head,
I have read many times that until the VW The Mopdel T wasthe most accesorized car ever produced. I alway loved the Ahooga sound & in yet another fit of joyous spending Several years ago I bought a new one(I think from Mac's) & fitted it under the hood of my '23 Roadster. Forgive me Henry but the sound was better (to me) than the regular horn. I haven't looked lately but I think the horn was $200.00 plus but the sound was worth it. Whats the old saying, the differance between men & boys is the cost of their toys.
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 02:31 am:

Well while judgment was being passed on seaweed 1996 without defense I decided to contact him by email in which he responded promptly. It appears that he is just up the road from me and was very honest about what he can do with horns. Copied from an email he sent me you can tell he is of dubious report. Subtly trying to get me to fall prey to his notorious plot to repair every horn in America and parts of Canada by offering to buy me coffee at a local restaurant where no doubt he would try and take my horn. I shudder at the thought of what this could have done to the western hemisphere if we would not have uncovered this dastardly plot. Judge not least ye be judged.

John,

It is good to hear from you.

Yes, I live in Forest, Mississippi and no I do not repair old horns.

I restore ahooga horns and rewind the field coils and armatures to like new condition. There is a major difference in repair and restore.

The next time you’re in this area, call me and we will meet at Penn's Fish House for a visit and coffee.

See the attached pictures of my work.

Kind regards,

Neil Stegall
601-469-0878

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Jeffers on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 10:37 am:

John, that might be the same man that a local TV station did a story on. If it is he also rebuilds wagons and is a wheel wright.

If you go to Penn's Fish House you will have more than coffee. They have some of the best catfish in the state.

If you are in Vicksburg the next few days stop by and see what I am up to.
I have a Ruckstell apart and I am getting ready to pull the engine next week. I think I will find some surprises in the engine, I already found one surprise when I pulled the rear end.
Get Jack to show you where I live or call me and I'll tell you how to get here.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 10:52 am:

John,
Just be careful! Take a friend with you for the first meeting. What ever you do, don't take your horn the first time either. And get a contract! lolool.....sorry...just couldn't help it.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 10:58 am:

Make sure that contract is in writing, oral contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 02:55 pm:

John,

Congradulations!! You did what should have been done at the beginning, (including by me).

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 04:25 pm:

I have a business email account from my web browser but I get sooo much spam on it that I use my yahoo address for business. As for the ahooga horn, I agree with you guys, replaced the stock horn on my '23 and it's awesome... everyone loves it. You can hear it "a mile away".
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:46 am:

Joe love to come over. Looks like I'll need some of your early ford advice. Stumbled up on a 1911 or 12 touring in great barn fresh condition. Needs the top irons and a carbide generator. You got these at the house? I really think I could have it ready for "the event" with a little help. Still working on the 15 roadster in the event that the touring is not a go. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:36 am:

Just an update, I contacted Neil, after some e-mails I purchased a Sparton horn from him, got it in 4 days. I was amazed at the work he had done, rewound field coil new amarture, everything like new, including the patent plate & bell, he told me the cover was missing so I knew that going in.

Working on a bracket for mounting, but I tested it on the battery & this puppy will be heard in the next county.

No shipping charge within the US & totally it was about $10 More than the repops offered through the vendors (who would have added shipping).

I guess there are some people out there who just like what there doing.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dave willis on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:25 am:

if you drive a model t in everyday traffic,[ i do] the best weapon next to good brakes is a good horn....i wired a really nice loud repro aooooga under the hood on my 24 coupe..it's loud enough to get an inattentive drivers attention yet still vintagely quaint. a good set of euro airhorns work well but tend to tick people off.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration