Why don't they make .... part three (3)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Why don't they make .... part three (3)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 03:01 pm:

I wish someone would make a cast iron brake drum for the '26-'27 rear wheels. I use my rear wheels as service brakes and would like to have a cast iron drum to stop better, like the Model A's had.
How about it?

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 05:00 pm:

I like these "Why don't they make" posts...gets the creative juices flowing! I can't say I will this week, but sometime soon I'll look through my stash of parts (being a hot rodder, I don't throw much away) and see if I have any drums comparable in size to the 26-7 drums. I'm gonna bet there is something out there close enough in size that an iron drum could be machined fairly easy to look like the T drums.

From 58-70, Buick made all full-sized cars with aluminum shell cast around an iron ring. Nowadays, it is getting harder and harder to find good drums, but I've been told there is a company that is machining out the remains if the iron and replacing it with a new liner. Not as good as original since the original had a molecular bond between the iron and aluminum which defeats the electrolysis that normally affects the two metals when in contact, but it keeps a lot of Buicks on the road. Surely, there is something that can be done to Ford drums to make them more acceptable as service brakes.
Ray

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration