Ebay-What Is This Supposed To Be ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Ebay-What Is This Supposed To Be ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:27 pm:

The seller of this unit mentions both the Model T and the Model A but I'm at a loss at what someone was trying to do. What type of rear end is this and what is the quick change feature? Thanks...Michael Pawelek
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Model-T-Quick-change-rear-end_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQc ategoryZ34208QQihZ016QQitemZ260209552703QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

That is a hot rod part, Michael. It is used for racing. The rear cover is removed to allow changing the spur gears inside, to be able to quickly change the gear ratio, depending on the track.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

It is not Model T, though.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:57 pm:

Michael
The early Ford quick change rear end conversions have a place in the rear of the case for two straight cut gears that mesh (it has a removable cover) and can be changed with different sets of gears to modify the rear axle ratio. One gear is driven by the driveshaft and the other drives the pinion and ring gears. These rear ends were popular with the hot rod and land speed crowd.
That rear end is neither Model T or Model A, but you knew that. It is from a 1932 or later Ford because the spring perches are aft of the axle housings.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:15 pm:

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Someone building a 50's period racer should grab that up in a hurry.

quote:

Those acquainted with racing history instantly equate Halibrand Engineering with the original quick-change rear axle. Ted Halibrand designed the first lightweight, variable gear ratio axle for use in most forms of performance racing. With designs dating back to 1948, Halibrand dominated Midget, Sprint, Championship, and Indy car racing sports. Halibrand designed their quick-change center section around the race popular Ford rear axle assemblies. This allowed Halibrandís center section to replace the Ford design, while utilizing the axle housings, axles, ring and pinions, differentials, and brakes readily available to the racer. The simplicity and economy coupled with Halibrandís pioneering use of magnesium casting was the secret to Halibrandís success with the race industry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston, Broken Arrow, OK on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:29 pm:

Although, this is likely the real thing, dummy units are being produced, this owner's disclaimer makes me suspecious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:35 pm:

I couldnt help but notice the nice,clean looking bolts holding the axle houseings on. I would say he knows what is in there and is covering his backside by selling it as a houseing.
But yea,I bet that dollar starting bid will disappear in a hurry once the right folkes find it on ebay.
I do remember not to long ago someone on here is building a T based speedster and is useing 1 of those or something like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 06:06 am:

That's a Halibrand V8...Traditinal hot rodders still use them becuase that is part of early hot rodding. You could drive your jalopy to the track or strip with highway gears, then switch out the gears to race. Winters makes one that is still used in dirt track racing, not sure if Halibrand is still building them or not. The only thing in the picture of any value is the magnesium housing. The rest of the parts are plain Ford.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration