OK...next "cheap way out"!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: OK...next "cheap way out"!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:45 pm:

An old Model T restorer from way back passed on a great "secret" to me today. I am going to do this, and thought I should pass it on. When installing glass in your car, check around for school bus salvage yards. I found one just 8 miles from where I work. I called them today, and from the prices they quoted me, I can get enough glass to do my whole car for about $100.00 bucks. You then take the glass to a local shop and they will cut it to size for you for about 5 to 8 bucks a window. So, for under $150.00 bucks it will be done and over with....no pain at all.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:03 pm:

Is this windshield or side glasses? It has been a while,a long while,:>0,since I was on a short ,er uh School bus,I am trying to think of which windows would be big enough to cut out a windshield.unless it would be the windsheild from the bus.Was this 1 of the snub fronted 1's? Thomas or Blue burd?
I think most of the local countys use Thomas.
I like your idea and once I understand more about it,I will check with a local fellow that works at the bus garage.He might can find some fixen to go to the great glass place in the sky and save it for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 06:11 am:

Mack, a buddy of mine built a 40 Ford pickup a few years ago, painted it a really nice metallic green, then used Greyhound bus glass. It's green! Looked really good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 06:28 am:

Mack,
I gave the guy rough dementions on the phone wondering the same thing. He said the rear door glass would be big enough for my doors, and windshilds to cut the rest, including my windshield.

My windshield is roughly 38" wide. The windshield on the older busses (most likely to be in a scrap yard) are devided by a center post. He said it should just make it for length.

He also said many times the windshields get frosty around the edges and they can't sell them as windshields, but I could cut out the center for the rear side windows for example. He said he can sell me those really cheap, because they can't sell them for other busses.

Tim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration