Why is the front axle washer part # 2709 needed?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Why is the front axle washer part # 2709 needed?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:52 pm:

Question: Why is the washer needed between the front axle nut and the front wheel outer bearing or cone?

Additional background:

The 1906 though at least 1932 Model N,R, S, T , A and B/V8 Fords used a washer (NRS -- part # 108 factory number 210; Model T -- part # 2709 for Ts; Model B and V8 part # B 1195) between the front axle nut and the front axle outer bearing cone if equipped with ball bearings and the outer roller bearing & cone for the roller bearings.

Checking on some other car manuals, the VW bug used a similar washer between the front axle nut and the font axle outer bearing.

Ford used over 40 million of those washers 1906 to 1932 (perhaps on the 1903-1905 also?) and probably the later Fords. I strongly believe if he could have dropped the use of them he would have done so to save money. But he kept them and I would think they are still used in cars today that still have rear wheel drive.

Does anyone know why they are important? One of our NRS Ford members is installing the roller bearings to replace the original ball bearings. He is considering leaving out the washer so the axle nut fits better. I strongly believe that purchasing Langís thinner washer sold for use when converting the ball bearing hubs to the roller bearings would be a much wiser way to convert to the roller bearings. Or sanding down an existing washer and/or taking off some of the back of the nut would be another option and/or making the castle slots deeper. But I donít know why the washer is important Ė can anyone share and/or point me to an explanation?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:56 pm:

Doesnt it isolate anything that turns from the nut,which would cut into it?Of course how does a threaded bearing turn? Intresting question sir,I look forward to the responses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:20 pm:

Hap,
Does it serve to keep the grease from oozing out of the bearing?
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:04 am:

Hap

With out the washer, what would keep the bearing from tightening down further when the axle nut is installed? The washer has a tab on it which fits into the axle, keeping it from turning when you tighten the axle nut. Donít forget the cotter key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 07:03 am:

Thank you for the replies. One of our NRS members was wondering and they shared, "I would have to take about .040 off the nut to use spindle washers. I made a thin wrench so I can lock the bearing to the nut. With the bearing locked to the nut I really don't see the need for the spindle washer, although I do plan on using them. If you don't lock the bearing to the nut the bearings might lock up tight when backing up."

At this point he is planning to use a washer -- which I think is wise. But I still wish I could locate a good explanation somewhere. Does is cause failure if it is not used? Was it used to make the adjustment of the front wheel bearing easier? etc. It may be one of those that isn't really explained.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter, SC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 08:48 am:

The tab washer isolates the nut from the bearing so that if the bearing falls apart it won't affect the nut. That way the wheel won't fall off.

Just like Mack said........

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 09:05 am:

Hap, there is a special thin spindle washer available to accomodate the shorter spindles for the early Ts. I don't know that they would fit the pre-Ts, but if so, it would be better than cutting the nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 01:51 pm:

I think Lang's list the thiner washer in the NRS section ot the catalog. If they were not important I think Ford would have drop them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration