I learned something useful today: Turn the top of the front axle nut towards the rear of the car to tighten

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: I learned something useful today: Turn the top of the front axle nut towards the rear of the car to tighten
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:27 pm:

While looking unsuccessfully for why the washer is needed between the front axle nut and the front wheel outer bearing, I ran across a handy memory aid for working on the front axle bearings. In Dykes it shares, “There are left-hand threads on the right spindle and right-hand threads on the other spindle [if not you have the wrong spindle on that side]. Turn the top of the nut [front axle nut] toward the rear of the car to tighten.” Page 1086 Dykes, 13 Edition.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:39 pm:

I remember by the simple saying:

Left is Right, Right is Left!

Left spindle has right hand threads. Right spindle has left hand threads.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:42 pm:

And only us lefties are in our right minds..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:58 pm:

Reminds me of the saga of the counter-rotating front wheels on the Model T!!!

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 01:10 am:

Hap,

It is my understanding that the washer with tab is there so that when you tighten up the nut it does not try to turn the bearing. That way you don't have to have two wrenches to tighten the nut.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 07:17 am:

My wife's (at that time my girlfriend) first car was a Plymouth. One evening she called me to see if I could help her brother change the front right tire. He'd been struggling with the lug nuts for over an hour and couldn't get them loose. No one in her family had ever dealt with a Chrysler product before (which had left-hand threads on the lugs on the right hand side of their cars).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration