Fuel additives?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Fuel additives?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 01:24 am:

Are there any fuel additives that you folks would recommend for cleaning carbon deposits and the like in the T engine? I've shined the outside, like to shine the inside. Thanks all...Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 05:45 am:

A word of warning. I have a Sunbeam Alpine, made in 1967 when gas in England had lead in it. I drove it on leaded gas until about 2 years ago when the cost got prohibitive (you can still get it in just a few places but it's about $12/gal whereas 'ordinary' unleaded is 'only' $8!).
Instead, I have been using Castrol Valvemaster additive for two years and, to cut a long story short, have now found that the paint from the inside of the tanks has all flaked off. You can guess the rest.
The moral of this tale is - be careful what chemicals you put inside a painted tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 06:32 am:

An old mechanics trick was to bring the piston to TDC on the compression stroke, drop a little kerosene in through the open spark plug hole and then stick a small acetylene torch tip in with just the oxygen turned on. By pointing the tip in different directions around the cylinder as the kero burned, the carbon deposits would completely burn off.

Don't know how practical this is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 07:33 am:

Bob, pull the head and clean the carbon off, if it's a concern. The head gasket is inexpensive and there is minimal time involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gulfoil on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:50 am:

Techron, sold by Chevron, is the only additive I know of that has been PROVEN by outside labs and Consumer Reports to actually reduce carbon deposits on valve stems.

Mike Royster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 02:56 pm:

Thanks guys.
Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration