Bummer day!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Bummer day!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 05:27 am:

I relined the bands, that went great. They are too thick, so hard to fit. While I take care of the rest of the problems I am going to clamp them to drums and try to comprss them some. Lost nut and washer in crankcase, found washer but not nut. Tryed all the standard ways, but no luck. I should have stuffed the area around, but did not have any rags handy. I think it may have bounced into one of the openings in the drums as it is no where to be found. Pulled the starter, drained the oil and pulled the inspection cover even ran an old sock aroung trying to pick it up, no luck. It is not stuck one one of the magnets that I can see. Noted the brake drum has crack at one of the bolt holes! Guess time to order some gaskets and pull motor. Just how some days go! I did get the steering cover off, had to use the hot wrench to break free. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 05:50 am:

I just read the post about broken crank, I guess my day was not so bad. but in the end, sill a lot of work for both of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 06:17 am:

And some folks think the T is a "great" car...

Good luck buddy!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 06:26 am:

Thanks Ray. I was haveing evil thoughts about getting a Chevrolet while I was trying with no luck to find the nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:07 am:

Chevrolets were Bill Durant's low-buck entry into the market to compete with the Ford, just like the Plymouth was for Chrysler. As aggravating as the Ford is, everyone else could only want what Henry had first.

BTW, I've got an early Plymouth, but it ain't stock (and it don't have no boooring small-block Chevrolet in it either)! No bowties on this farm!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 08:33 am:

I'm sure glad my thirteen year old C1500 is two cylinders shy of having an SBC - but you are right about it being boring - it rarely needs any attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By EDWARD R LEVY on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 08:58 am:

Mark,
My experience with Model T's over the past two decades has taught me that the "loveable" old Ford can test our patience more than a little bit. Fopget the mistake you made by failing to use rags but take joy when you get the engine out & discover the nut in the bottom of the sump. Its going to be O.K. & when its all back together & you hear that wonderfull chorus of Model T sounds you will feel better. A side note;
Years ago I enlisted the help of two of my friends to help install new relined bands on a saturday morning, To make a long story short after five hours of anger, frustration etc & the job not finished they left & it was years before the friendship was healed. We laugh about it today !!
Edward R. Levy
P.S. My punishment for ruining my friends Saturday has been to keep my word that I would never again ask them for help on any car related matters !!!
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 09:06 am:

Mark,

Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain! Just wondering what kind of bands you were using that were too thick?

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 03:02 pm:

Royce,
They are very good NORS Wards. I do not know so much that they are too thick, as much as, they are just tight to fit in. They are dismountable ear bands.
Every one else;
Thanks, Good thing I have one or two extra brake drums in my pile (I didn't want to call it a stash ;) ). That crack may have been there for years. I will try again today, If I can find it I am going to button Her up for now, and when the parts get here, then I will pull her down.
Your right about the sound they make and the way people smile as you go by.
After soaking the bands I think it took less then a 1/2 hour to mount the linings. The rest of the day trying to fit etc!!!##%$@&&(*)+%^
I thing most of will get the point on last little bit!
Well off to place an order for gaskets and a couple othere sundry bits.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 21coupe on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 04:49 am:

UPDATE;
After I pulled it apart I did some clean up on the drum. At first I thought it was just a scrach, but tapped a few time with a hammer, it was a crack, there was oil that came out of the crack.
Pulling motor and crack:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 06:50 am:

Mark, all you can do is smile and getter done! Sorry to hear you're having so much bad luck.

Where are you located? If it helps, I'll try and get that steering gear cover problem solved today. It's cold, but I'm gonna warm the shop because I need to use the bead roller on my speedster body. While the shop is warm I can try to make sure what I have in mind is going to work, if that will set your mind at ease? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:40 am:

21Coupe,

I'll get some feedback on this I know.

If that were my car with that short crack over the bolt hole I would leave it alone. As long as the crack doesn't carve up your band lining it's probably harmless. (If it does you can lightly polish the sharp edges down with Dremel grinder. However, it looks like a tight crack that isn't making trouble.) I only say this due to the small size of the crack and the fact that it's related to the bolt hole only. The presence of the bolt will give that area all the support it needs to stay together. I would leave it alone and check on it periodically.

Again, that's my advise about what I would do with MY car. Do whatever you like to make yourself comfortable with yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:57 am:

If anyone ever bought a Model T and pondered on whether or not to go to the trouble of removing the hogshead and block to check the pan out, here is the perfect reason why it is a good idea to do this. Items dropped into the transmission are incredibly difficult and sometimes impossible to get out without removing the hogshead which is a dirty and difficult job, so some T owners have just decided to leave it in and hope it never becomes a problem. When it does become a problem, which it eventually will, it is a BIG problem that can do an amazing amount of damage to your transmission, coils and magnets, so don't press your luck. Do what it takes to remove that nut and / or washer. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:52 pm:

Just to add last post. I changed out the drum. I had a nice spair. Took it to work, guess what! The shaft on the brake lathe has the same size shaft, it fitted on just snug. Took a few light cuts and cleaned it up. The orginal bushings are nice. I found the nut, it was just inside the V on one of the magnets. While I had the motor apart I noted that the gap had the bottom was way to wide so I added a couple of shims to bring it out some. Photos are of pulling the motor with out a lift. I picked it up on its nose and put back in the same way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration